1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you gain qualifications to teach more than one subject?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by cjmugan1, Aug 14, 2011.

1. I have just completed a degree in Physical Education to a 1:1 standard and to obtain some essential experience working alongside the national curriculum I have been employed as a Cover Supervisor. Whilst PE is my main subject, I would like to teach a second subject such as History or Geography. Nevertheless, after hours of searching and investigating I cannot find a single route other than doing another degree that would qualify me to teach one of these subjects (I was told if I had an A-Level in one of the subjects this would be sufficient, but as I am a mature student and bypassed my A-Levels apparently there are no part time A-Levels available that I can go back and do whilst working as a Supervisor). As I aspire to progress onto the PGCE or GTP in 2012-2013, this year is the perfect time to gain a qualification that would allow me to progress into this area and I would be grateful if anyone out there has an idea I may have missed!!

2. I have just completed a degree in Physical Education to a 1:1 standard and to obtain some essential experience working alongside the national curriculum I have been employed as a Cover Supervisor. Whilst PE is my main subject, I would like to teach a second subject such as History or Geography. Nevertheless, after hours of searching and investigating I cannot find a single route other than doing another degree that would qualify me to teach one of these subjects (I was told if I had an A-Level in one of the subjects this would be sufficient, but as I am a mature student and bypassed my A-Levels apparently there are no part time A-Levels available that I can go back and do whilst working as a Supervisor). As I aspire to progress onto the PGCE or GTP in 2012-2013, this year is the perfect time to gain a qualification that would allow me to progress into this area and I would be grateful if anyone out there has an idea I may have missed!!

3. mpc

mpc

As I understand it, once you obtain QTS, you can teach any subject at secondary although, clearly, this is not advisable or desirable!
    Many of us do take on a second subject, however, and this is the case with most PE teachers I know. I believe it would be a question of working with the relevant (history, geography) dept whilst on PGCE placement - although I could be wrong.
    Does the Open University offer anything at all?
    Good luck in your quest,
    mpc

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

This advice is correct, though without some sort of relevant additional courses you might struggle to be allowed to teach such subjects (ergo, saying you're willing to teach them in an application won't hold much water).
    Have a look at the OU and see if there are any suitable modules. Also, you can sit A levels anywhere that will provide a centre for you to register at - have you inquired at local FE colleges? They might have some evening courses (rare these days, I know), or you could undertake self-study towards A level.

5. I think if you say that you would be willing to teach another subject, and state which one, most Heads would either agree, or agree on the stipulation that you complete some qualification in it first, as Middlemarch has said.
    The willingness to teach outside your subject area is usually welcomed.

6. Thank-you for the advice. I have spoken to a number of FE colleges and all have stated that whilst the vast majority don't do 'adult' or evening A-Levels one somewhere in the country may but at an extortionate rate. As a result of your replies , I will position myself within the Geography or History Department alongside Physical Ed. whilst working as a Cover Supervisor this year. Hopefully, the experience gained will be enough to present a valid case at any future interviews to support my second subject choice and ability to teach it.

7. In the meantime I will continue to discuss with heads of departments any possible opportunities to undertake specific training/qualifications that will support my ability to teach the second choice subject.

8. I have looked at the Open University and had no joy, however, I will try to contact them directly this week as this would be a perfect route if they did have any such courses that would qualify me. Thanks!

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

You may be lucky enough to get your school to enter you for A level History or Geography

10. I've just completed a PGCE in ICT and my uni (NTU) is offering a Maths CPD course over the next academic year to allow folks to train in Maths too

11. The University of Chichester are running a conversion course to teach secondary maths, to staff with QTS in another subject. Other colleges must run similar courses, you can offer your services to Science departments to teacher, biology or Anatomy and Physiology. I am, currently, an overweight exercise shy Science teacher delivering PE based on the same "logical" thinking.

12. Personally I don't think a second subject is much of an issue because...
    1. Once you are in a school teaching PE you may not even have room on your timetable for another subject
    2. Once you are in a school you can express interest in teaching another subject (preferably one you have an A Level in already) and ease into it that way. I have found that quite often teaching staff end up teaching subjects they didn't initially train for (e.g. an Art teacher becomes head of PSHE etc.) I wouldn't worry about it...none of the PE teachers at the schools I've worked at have taught a second subject past Y7...