1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you focus your rehearsal lessons?

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by japonica892, Jan 21, 2011.

1. japonica892

japonica892 New commenter

Hi
    My GCSE drama groups are at that point in their work where they spend the lessons rehearsing with me helping them where necessary. They are devising a piece based around the poem Ninety Six Souls (the Hillsborough diaster). Next week we have learning walks from SLT who don't really get the idea of rehearsing in a lesson and I just wondered what you do to focus your rehearsal or a good starter to begin with.

I often get them to rehearse a bit then peer assess another group using forum theatre to help each other but I am struggling to think of a catchy starter/hook that SLT are so keen on!
    Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

2. japonica892

Hi
    My GCSE drama groups are at that point in their work where they spend the lessons rehearsing with me helping them where necessary. They are devising a piece based around the poem Ninety Six Souls (the Hillsborough diaster). Next week we have learning walks from SLT who don't really get the idea of rehearsing in a lesson and I just wondered what you do to focus your rehearsal or a good starter to begin with.

I often get them to rehearse a bit then peer assess another group using forum theatre to help each other but I am struggling to think of a catchy starter/hook that SLT are so keen on!
    Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

3. Hi,

You could start by running through what makes a successful rehearsal, and how to use their time wisely (perhaps success criteria on the board). Get pupils to give themselves a target for the lesson (e.g. to choreograph a particular scene, or work on transitions between scenes) and then come back to this in the plenary to see if they achieved this. If they did, then discuss want worked, and if not say why not...I find that after about 20 minutes the boys in my groups get a bit bored so I also do a bit of peer assessment. I think its really important to stop the class regularly to keep focus, and you could even get some groups to model sections of the text. I tend to get them all into freeze frames to start and then all begin their scene at the same time, and if that way they can see which areas they need work on (these will become obvious when their performance falls apart!)

Alternatively, you could give different groups different targets/sections to work on and say that you want them to have something to show towards the end of the lesson. They could also write an evaluation of how their rehearsal has gone in the lesson, and review what role their take (leader/negotiator/drama queen!)

Hope this helps abit!

Good luck!

4. japonica892

Thank you so much........this helps loads

5. I totally see where you're coming from with this, I'm going through exactly the same thing with my year 11's - I sort of feel like at the moment I'm just saying 'ok get on with it' at the start of every lesson and I almost feel bad!! Obviously I am always on hand to offer help, advice and guidance, but for the most part there's comes a time when you have to stand back and let them get on with it. I totally understand what you mean about SLT as well and in the past I have dealt with this by focussing in on one of more specific areas of rehearsal and based my learning objectives around this. For example, 'by the end of the lesson you will show the first minute of your piece and clearly establish character' or, 'show thoughtful, creative blocking' then you can refer to this throughout the lesson and when they perform/show their work at the end of the lesson in terms of whethere they have met the objective or not

6. This thread is really useful for me as I have an NQT observation of a BTEC rehearsal lesson next week and I was panicking, this thread has helped me see a way forward!

7. twigtwig

twigtwig New commenter

all great ideas so far, sometimes i do something like focus on use of voice this rehearsal and do some vocal warm up starters and refer back to this during the performance/plenary. Or teamwork is the focus and do some trust exercises at the begining or half way through.

I find as long as an objective is on the board and the kids know what they are focussed on learning then SLT are ok (most are terrified of drama anyway)

good luck

8. A really good starter for this sort of work is to get the students to hot seat one another to develop characterisation. What I do is link two groups together so they can coach one another and use key words to enhance embodiment, projection and role. Hot seating will also help students link their toolkit in developing the character. For instance your character is older, how does he walk and keep working on a few key area's voice, movement etc. Also you could also get each group to film one another and then analyse work together. Ticks ofsteds box for ICT in lesson.

9. I would also give students a copy of grade descriptions so thye can begin to understand the difference between A-C. Really gives them a big kick up the backside, again ticks ofsteds boxes for AFL.