1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you fit stomach issues in with teaching?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Wiltshire_artist, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Wiltshire_artist

Wiltshire_artist New commenter

Hi,

I am currently under investigation for cause of chronic gastric irritation- suspected possibly hiatus hernia or ulcer (basically I have a sore stomach and feel sick when I eat- especially large meals/on an empty stomach/dairy/acidy food).

When I am at home I just 'graze' and it means I can eat a sufficient amount throughout the day without suffering too much. However at school I cannot do this so am having a banana in the morning and a small lunch (literally just a sandwich- even this causes discomfort but not as bad as anything else). However I still spend tutor period after lunch with nausea and some pain and I find that I am feeling tired/hungry throughout the day.

Does anyone have a similar condition and have any tips on how I can eat enough to keep myself going without causing myself too much grief, I feel that no-one apart from a teacher can give a practicable solution, the internet is full of stuff I would do if I had the time and a huge food budget.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I don't eat until I get home in the evening, no breakfast or lunch. it's the only way I can manage. to get through the day. Not brilliant, but I'm used to it by now! ( Gallstones and ermm, explosive after-effects!)

3. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I think you should consider asking for a meeting with your line manager so that you can explain how it affects you and let them know what you need. Eg more frequent breaks, you could ask if there is any way tutor period could be covered by someone else until you are well enough. You might also ask to be referred to occupational health who may be able to make further recommendations about what your school can do to support you.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Speak to your line manager or the person in charge of HR.
    You should be able to grab something small between lessons, so every 40 mins to an hour.
    Or you explain to your pupils the issue and have things on your desk to graze on throughout the day.
    It isn't ideal, but no reason why you couldn't for medical reasons.

Unless you teach chemistry or PE, then it might be trickier.