1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you fit in IEP work/intervention?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Vanadesse, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I've got a few children in my class that have IEPs that give them specific targets that obviously won't match up with the rest of the class. I'd like them to have time, at least one a week each, where they work with me or a TA on those targets so that we can keep working on them and reviewing them. I was just wondering where people normally find the time to do that? Obviously during most lesson both the TA and myself will be working with a specific group and I don't want them to miss any of a lesson to do it really, just not sure how to work it in. Could I, for example, keep them out of assembly if I haven't been able to fit it in anywhere else?

2. That's how I work it. I had 5 ch'n with IEPs last year. I tried to provide 3 slots each a week for dedicated target time - once with me and twice with a TA. THis moved week to week depending on commitments. Sometimes it was during assembly; sometimes at the beginning of dinner time (I Know!) and sometimes during ERIC. The TA occasionally pulled them out of class during my input - especially if they were working with me during the focus group time any way. It's a juggling act!

3. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

What's ERIC? So basically, long and short of it is, get it in whenever we have time! I'm going to have a short 20 minute reading focused session on one day. I was hoping my TA and I would listen to individual readers but I suppose I could get my TA to work with the two SEN children (10 minutes each) and then I could do the same during assembly. I know that on placement the SEN children really didn't get enough IEP time with me (or anyone often) and I really want to try and make sure that doesn't happen this year. It's so hard as there are so many demands and so many things to do, not sure how people fit it all in!

4. Yeah, you've summer it up. It's a pain some weeks to fit in, but it does make a difference, and that's why they have an IEP! ERIC = Everyone Reading In Class (an 80s phrase I think!) We all read for tens mins everyday. Teacher is meant to model it too in an ideal world - but I do 1:1 readers and IEP work! How do you fit it in? Just keep spinning your plates . . . .

5. Everyone Reading In Class.
    That includes the teacher and I drew the line at that.
    I know we should set an example, but for me it just was not on the top of my to-do list.
    Maybe we should have a thread about abbreviations e.g.
    WALT and WILF. Can never remember what they are .
    I would rather just say it.
    Like at the end of a lesson, we do We All Now Know.
    I'd rather say that. [​IMG]

6. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

Ahhh ok, I might try and fit it in too to give me more individual readers and IEP time!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Totally depends on your school and which assemblies. Some schools have a complete blanket no, others allow for some assemblies.

I've never ever had children with IEP targets they couldn't be working on in lessons. Even those working well below the rest of the class (level 1 in year 6) could still work towards IEP targets in lessons. Those with very significant needs have had a 1:1 TA and so she did the specific target based work as and when she could fit it in.

I've never been a fan of using lunchtimes for work with children. But at the end of last term I had to do some individual phonics assessments with my class and couldn't fit them in any other way. I felt so guilty making them miss 5-10 mins of lunch break, but the year 2s loved it. I made a little pass and the first child took it out with them (so if stopped in the corridor they could prove they were supposed to be there) and found the next child and handed over the pass. Next child came in, did their assessment and handed on the pass and so on and so on. They loved it so much I'm thinking of having very small groups in at lunchtimes this term. Not necessarily SEN, possibly G&T (I know they are sort of SEN as well!) and the middles who get nothing extra usually.