1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you find the time for exercise?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by pinky26, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Hi,
    New Year and new resolution but I'm really curious about when full time teachers actually find the time to do exercise? I'm really keen to improve my health but could do with some help knowing how I can fit exercise into busy days.
    xx

2. Timetable it in and stick to it. When I was moonwalk training I would get home, get changed straight away and head straight out. I would also get up early in the morning to do exercise before having a shower an getting ready.

3. I've got a few 10 minute solutions exercise DVDs. They are split into 10 minute sections so you can just do 10 minutes or put more together for a longer workout. They cost about £4 or £5 each.
    I sometimes get up 10 minutes earlier in the morning and do a section before my shower - perks me up for the day too.
    I also joined a local authority gym (the cheapest option) and I usually go on a friday evening after school and sunday daytime. I would like to go one weekday evening aswell but I'm usually too busy or tired.

4. When I was teaching full-time the only time I could get to the gym was Sunday morning/lunchtime. I cancelled my subscription because of the number of times I missed midweek because of parents evenings, open evenings, meetings, marking crisis, sheer exhaustion, and Sunday lunchtime didn't have any of the classes I wanted.
    Shooting off for an hour after school, never seemed to fit in with getting back to the kids, or dinner; and it never was an hour by the time you'd got changed, even leaving the shower till you got home.

5. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I have to admit, I have no idea how anyone with young children (i.e. the age that can't look after themselves for an hour at home after school whilst the parents are at the gym) manage to exercise.
    I went through a period of getting up and going swimming in the morning before work. I knocked it on the head when the dark morning came about. However, I might start doing it again in a few weeks time. Meanwhile, I find that completing my Stability Ball workout DVD at home during the week (cardio and toning) then making sure I get to the gym on Friday nights, Saturdays and Sundays works for me.
    However, I don't have children to contend with.

6. I've found 3 ways to fit in exercise with a wii fit;

1) as a previous poster said get up a little earlier and do 10- 15 mins in the morning.
    2) exercise while the dinner is cooking, if something is in the oven for 30 minutes do some exercise while you are waiting.
    3) when you would normally sit down to watch a bit of tv, use the wii fit plus on free step or free jog setting which allows you to exercise whilst watching the telly!

7. I've started walking home from work every day (45mins at a brisk pace).
    It's only one type of exercise, but it's a start!

8. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I work part time (0.5) have a toddler and my husband does shift work, but I still have time to get to the gym. I haven't been as much for the past 3 months or so as i'm 25 weeks pregnant and hadn't been feeling great, but i've started to get back into it.
    When I was full time and had no kids, I used to go straight to the gym after work (i'd just keep my gym clothes in the car) and then i'd do an hour or so and go home. Sometimes I did aerobics classes that started about 6:30/7. I used to go 4 or 5 times a week. After i had my son I went back to the gym when he was 7 weeks old and managed to do 4 or 5 times a week, and i continued to go when I went back to work, but not as often since i had to fit it round my husband's shifts.
    If you want to go, you find time for it, and then it just becomes part of your routine.

9. I have been thinking about nor exercise in particular, but how people with kids fit in time to do anything. I don't have kids, go to the gym on Sat and Sun, more often in the holidays. I also have a Wii, tend not to use it in the week, but I do have a step, a fitness ball and a Swiss ball. I am going to try to do a routine based on the step during the week. I do find it hard, I cook a lot at the weekends, freeze and use in the evenings. I get sooooo tired, but I am going to try.

10. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

However, a full-time working mother probably finds it more difficult, not least because they will be absolutely shattered at the end of a working day. Also, single parents have a whole new element of time restraints.
    That said, there probably are places to fit in exercise, but this relies on the parents not wanting (quite justifiably) to just collapse onto the sofa once the working day is done, the kitchen is cleared away and the children are in bed.
    Personally, I probably have the time to go to the gym on weeknights, but just don't find I have the energy. I start work at 7.30am and usually leave around 5.30pm. By the time I'm leaving work, I'm starving a ready to get home and cook something to eat. After that, I'm usually so exhausted that it's all I can do to finish off any planning/marking that needs doing in the evening and then have an hour or so to spend with my boyfriend before going to bed.

11. I'll copy and paste this for anyone who finds themselves wondering why they're droppping with exhaustion and unable to cope with life.
    If you have got up at stupid o'clock, done a day's demanding work, come home and sorted dinner, laundry, marking etc, even without children, I suspect that is enough to be going on with.
    Not enough maybe to make you look like Cheryl Cole but better than driving yourself on and on to achieve some ideal state of fitness and thinness when your body is already telling you that's it's actually quite tired.

12. I tend to agree with you, Lily and Eva.
    I work full time, have 2 teenage children, a husband who works away and a fairly dependent 80 year old mother living about 15 miles away. My daily routine rarely has time or inclination for exercise.
    6.45 Get up, breakfast, washing in, drying in, dishwasher emptied.8.45 leave house, 8.10 get to work
    Work throughout day stopping for 20 minute lunch.
    4.15 leave school, 4.40 home. Kids starving, begin cooking tea (unless sainted 16 year old son does so). Rush about sorting washing, discussing maths homework, sometimes popping into town to do urgent errands, calling in supermarket.
    5.30 - 6.00 We usually eat around now.
    6.00 - 8.30 ish marking, planning, supervising homework, loading dishwasher unless it's one of the kid's turn.
    8.35 mother rings after Pobol y Cwm finishes - record anything I want to see for later viewing. 20 minutes moaning and complaining later, she puts the phone down.9 pm settle down to watch stuff on tv having made packed lunches for following day.
    9.30 husband rings from work or after work interrupting said tv programme.
    10 pm or so, stagger off to bed having necked back large glass of white wine.
    Some evenings, of course, there are meetings or parents' evenings, or I will make a swift trip to mother's having done a shop for her. At weekends, kids require some running about in the car.

I tell you what, it really annoys me when magazines tell you that you CAN make time for exercise if only you really try. I am sure I could streamline this lot, if only I had the energy...

13. I sympathise with the Mum issue. I can be on the phone to my Dad for up to 1 1/2 hours in the evening. It really gives me no time for anything else. I sometimes try the old trick of saying I have marking, or someone is at the door, to which he invariably says "Phone me back then"! I think at 80, Millie so much of their lives revolves around illness and aches and pains that it is hard to consider the effect it has on us. It certainly depresses me but I don't know how to stop it.

14. Agreed Gorgy - I feel the same. No idea what to say or do to help much or to ease the guilt I have at being helpless. I daresay some exercise would help take my mind off it all/make me feel more positive etc but WHEN??!!

15. Don't stop it. He's 80. He's got nothing else. And he won't be round for much longer. You'll be glad you gave him the gift of your company when he's gone.

16. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I work full time and have 2 young children. Husband and I take it in turns dog walking, sometimes the children have to do that with me after school, but I try not to force it on them in bad weather. Anyway, I am doing my walking either when husband ariives home, as tea is cooking, or when kids are in bed and tea has had time to go down. Not my preferred routine, but I want to do some exercise so this is how I have to do it. Also, I like to be out in fresh air rather than in a gym/lounge etc. As someone said, if you want to do it, you'll find time.

17. Oh I could find the time. And sometimes I do. However, given my hectic life I am often just too darned tired, it feels like just another chore, and that's when the motivation is harder to find.

18. Lil, that made me cry a bit. I know he won;r be here for ever, and that's why I do it. Doesn;t stop me moaning about it though! i find it hard because I hate talking on the phone at the best of times. I didn't mean I want to stop phoning, it is just sometimes hard when i am the only one he has to complain to, he doesn't realise how it affects me.

19. I feel exactly the same as you Gorgy. It's not easy, is it? My mum is only emotionally honest with me - she puts on a "brave face" in front of everybody else then takes out all her negative feelings about other people, her health and her life on me. I know I'm the only sounding board she has and she relies on me. I want to support her. But sometimes I need support myself and I can't make her feel bad that she is affecting me - as you say about your dad.

20. Thanks for the response Gorgy - someone else in the same boat helps! PM me too if you like - if you can fit it in to your exercise regime!