1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you feel and deal with when, after the demo less, you take the "walk of shame"?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by z_a_39, Jul 9, 2020.

1. z_a_39

z_a_39 New commenter

You go in, do the demo lesson you spent a whole day preparing, making sure to fill all the possible gaps. The students were engaged, you thought it went well and enjoyed teaching your hard-worked product.

You get pulled into the interview room afterwards only to see the panel in front of you with uncomfortable expressions and the leader saying "Hello XYZ, we regret to inform you that we won't be progressing to interview today." Then you are left to take the "walk of shame", leaving the school thinking your lesson (which you spent so long on) was so bad that they wouldn't even give you the courtesy of an interview....Its basically another way of saying "you can't teach" In my case, there was only 1 other candidate, and I thought "really?". It was actually a very weird experience, as that candidate withdrew and they called me back like 2 weeks later, to do another demo lesson and interview. I mean if you're only interviewing 2 people you may as well interview both as you're putting all your eggs in one candidate who, if they withdraw, you are left totally without a teacher.

Do you have anything to share about your experiences? How its made you feel and how you deal with it?

2. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

I think that schools should never send candidates home after a lesson, without the courtesy of an interview. Seriously, unless your lesson was bad enough to be dangerous, it's a professional insult. But then, they don't reply to acknowledge applications, don't give feedback on interviews... this is not a courteous profession.

strawbs, EmanuelShadrack, WB and 12 others like this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I think the term "Walk of shame" means something different to what it meant to a 70s female student?

4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I never did that, Aquamarina, did you?:D

5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Then you are clearly not suitably qualified to be running a dungeon. :D.

6. z_a_39

z_a_39 New commenter

Guys c'mon this thread is going off on an inappropriate tangent now

butties and Dunteachin like this.
  7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I agree with @SEBREGIS that the interview process should be completed, whether or not the demonstration lesson was sufficient (or should that be insufficient) to fail the candidate.

Every teacher has had lessons which have failed. Even as a head, I had one lesson (observed by Ofsted) which crashed miserably as the Internet provider (East of England Broadband Network - E2BN) failed five minutes into the lesson leaving me with little in the way of preparation (which had taken HOURS!)

Also, as a head, I have interviewed candidates whose lessons have not gone according to plan, but in the face-to-face afterwards, candidates have been able to redeem themselves when asked "Why did it go wrong and what would you do to ensure it didn't happen again?"

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Actually we used to have something potentially even worse years ago. After your interview all candidates were all kept together in one room and you knew that the first person to be asked. Miss/Mr/Mrs X could you step this way please', meant that person was being offered the post. You eyed each other nervously, until someone came out to tell us that we 'were now free to return home'.
    Never got any feedback in those days either.

You'd then go home, convinced you were a most dreadful teacher and have a few days of self-pity and then pick yourself up enough for the next time.

Allow yourself to feel disappointed.
    Accept that sometimes it's not that you're awful, but just another candidate clicked better and was considered a better fit for the post.
    Once you've got over the disappointment, look over your interview and consider how you could improve your answers/ teaching another time. (Don't necessarily base this on anything said in feedback, as sometimes this may just have 'been something to say' and not based on actual interview/lesson.

Onward and upwards.

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I remember it well @lara mfl 0.

The group was usually left in the library until the potentially successful candidate was summoned.

Utterly depressing.

10. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Whereas I recall an interview for an English post, at a school where I was teaching, (but which didn’t involve me) where each of the 4 candidates was summoned to the head’s office in turn.

They’d all got the job.o_O:confused:

Nope, we didn’t ‘get it’ either. (But the head was a ‘one off’)

alex_teccy likes this.
  11. Lara mfl 05

Very odd Lizzie.
    Mind you I can beat that in that, having survived the 'unofficial evening sherry party, (who were they kidding - obviously part of the selection process :rolleyes:), followed by unofficial interviews the following morning and 3 candidates selected to go forward for 'formal interview' in the afternoon - at 4 pm we were all called together into the Head's office and told none of us 'were of sufficient quality' to merit the enhanced post and pay. o_O
    That was almost worse than knowing you'd been beaten by a better candidate on the day. :(

12. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

Or the interview question, "If we offer you the job will you take it?" I sat there having seen the state the staffroom was in and having listened to the staff during break and I thought, " Please don't offer it to me." I was right - the teacher who got the job left after a term and when I met him later on he said that it had been awful.

13. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I hate this question too. Who is going to say "no" right at the end of the interview? It's like admitting you've been wasting their time by sitting through the interview. I had this question a few weeks ago at the end of a Zoom interview. I wanted to say "no" but didn't feel I could so I said "I'll need to think it over." because I hoped that would put them off me which it did.

14. Bungie

Bungie Occasional commenter

A pompous, disliked head of curriculum went for an interview at a local school. There was a list of his classes for the day on the staffroom noticeboard, with instructions on which teacher should cover them (this was before the days of cover supervisors.) By 11 a.m. the cover instructions had been crossed out with thick green felt tip pen, and the words "cover no longer required" inserted. Schadenfreude is a reprehensible instinct, but it was SO delicious!

15. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

I had that twice at the same school.

The first time I genuinley overplanned and made a mistake on a resource that was over complicated, fair enough. They invited me to apply again, which I did the next year.

The second time I was told that my lesson was great but since I taught the fairly simple topic via well planned questions leading to students discovering the methods themselves, I hadn't personally taught enough for them to judge my ability to chalk and talk. If I had just printed the top rated resource off TES like the other candidate instead of spending a weekend making a masterpiece of question sequencing, I would have gotten to the interview!

I can go one better though. What if it's the last week of term and they send everyone else home after the lessons, then as the only candidate who went to interview they tell you that they'll be in touch in a few hours - then never bother to get back to you. The agency that sent me didn't seem to know what happened either and took a week to find out it was a "no" without feedback.

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The whole school interview process has always been a total joke. I could wiffle on for the next four hours about all the experiences I've had on interviews (some good, some bad) and I'm now at a point in my career where I probably won't have to do another one.

In terms of the "walk of shame" - then I've only had to do that once. I've had other interviews where I withdrew on my own accord but that's different. The one time I had to do it - totally my fault.

It was during my year on supply about 6 years ago - I wasn't in a great place mentally to do a formal interview day and I didn't particularly want the job anyway.

I really didn't prepare properly - mostly because I didn't really understand the lesson brief. I got there and found a large number of candidates - all prepared to the hilt with all sorts of stuff.

I did my lesson - which was terrible, and then sat in a room with the others for a bit. I was the first to be called out. The HT (boy was I glad that I didn't get the job) was very rude to me and called my lesson "totally inadequate" - it was just what I needed in the fragile state I was in and then they basically frogmarched me off the premises.

It took me a long time to get over that and it was 6 months before I went for another interview.

Bedlam3, alex_teccy and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  17. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

Yes it can be a bitter pill to swallow. However there’s a combination of variables the school leadership use when they make an appointment, how much they’re willing to spend, internal candidates, identity profiling, for example. They can’t and won’t make any of this clear in the reasons they give you, so they have to come up with a load of other reasons as to why you didn’t get the job.

Look at each lesson as an opportunity to sharpen your practice, try out some new techniques, create some new teaching materials. I came to regard interviews as a means of improving my communication techniques and thinking about my motivations and values.

burajda likes this.
  18. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

And you have to be all matey with each other

19. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Another waste of a job applicants' time are schools that have 'undisclosed criteria' in addition to the job specification, which are casually mentioned by the Head just before the interviews begin, biasing the selection process against you, or making your further participation in it completely pointless. Such as:

Head. "Welcome to the Foregone Conclusion Academy. You all seem very well qualified candidates. It would be nice to find a fluent Polish speaker, though. Anyway, on with the interviews. Mrs. Skłodowska, we'll take you first."

strawbs, Corvuscorax, Bungie and 2 others like this.
  20. Lara mfl 05

Sounds like a very nasty experience, but a lucky 'escape' peakster.