1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you explain what a digit is?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Time4Tea, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Time4Tea

Time4Tea New commenter

Anyone got a good way to explain what a digit is to lower ability Y2s?
    I have tried saying that a digit is a bit like a letter in a word - "a" is a 1 letter word, but "a" can also be part of a longer word. Problem is, children who don't know what a digit is probably aren't that hot on the difference between letters and words either.
    Anyone got a better way to explain?
    Thanks.

2. Time4Tea

Time4Tea New commenter

Anyone got a good way to explain what a digit is to lower ability Y2s?
    I have tried saying that a digit is a bit like a letter in a word - "a" is a 1 letter word, but "a" can also be part of a longer word. Problem is, children who don't know what a digit is probably aren't that hot on the difference between letters and words either.
    Anyone got a better way to explain?
    Thanks.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wouldn't bother giving them a big explanation.

Low ability year 2 children are presumably working at level 1 and so not really up to needing to know the difference between digit and number. Leave the explanation until they are further on in their maths learning.

4. it isn't really necessary to explain what a digit is - it would get really complicated. Instead i would simply use the word to refer to various numbers. if you use the word in context the children will pick up the meaning that can then be refined. Eg you can say something like look at these 2 digit numbers - then ask the chn to come up with further examples.
    I'm not used to teaching ks1 but that is how i would go about it.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I forgot to say what sulas said as well. I use the word in context, but I definitely don't bother to define it.

6. Time4Tea

Time4Tea New commenter

Ok, will re-phrase the question!
    I think what I currently do IS mostly let them work out what digit means by telling them this is a 1 digit number, this is a 2 digit number.I'm not entirely satisfied with that as a teaching approach.
    I have tried to explain but not come up with a definition I am happy with.
    Does anyone else explain, at any point, what digit means? Or does everyone just let them work out for themselves by seeing the word used correctly?

Thanks!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes but much, much later. Definitely not to those working at level 1. Explaining a concept to children who are not mathematically ready for it will always result in failure, however you do it.

I might say something like a digit is any of the symbols representing 0-9. Or, like you, use the analogy of letters and words. But this would be more when children are securely into level 3 really and so starting to understand decimals. Up until then I would just use the word as appropriate.

8. i really wouldn't go with the analogy with letters - it's not that true and so could be more confusing than helpful
    there are 10 digits, 0 to 9 and we put them together to make numbers - going any further gets into the vexed question of place value. a digit represents different values depending on where in the number it is placed - so in 23 the digit 3 also represents the value 3, but the digit 2 represents the value 20.
    in 237, the digit 2 represents the value 200 etc
    place value is hard even for bright children in rec/y1, so will be for your y2's. counting is natural - one more and one more and one more etc. but to move from 9 to a new column ie 10, is an entirely man-made construct

9. Time4Tea

Time4Tea New commenter

Thanks Minnie, that's helpful.

10. Hi,
    I teach lower ability year 2s and I think it all depends on the reason they should know what a digit is. I've just used it in my speech like someone else has already said, but the reason I have talked about it is because of tens and units and place value. That's the important thing they need to understand really. Good luck!