1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HOw do you explain some of the literacy terminology.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kym131218, May 23, 2011.

1. How would you explain to 8 year old what a powerful verb is?

2. How would you explain to 8 year old what a powerful verb is?

3. A more exciting way of describing what someone did?

E.g. the boy walked down the road - can the child think of more powerful verbs than walked? E.g. stumbled, or can they change the verb to make the sentence more interesting e.g. cartwheeled, hopped etc.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wouldn't!

I use, a bit like the last poster, words like 'more exciting' or 'more interesting'. I'm not sure I've ever used the phrase 'powerful verb' in my life.

We do lots of work on 'up-levelling' sentences, and yes I do know that it is a stupid phrase. Powerful verbs comes into that.

The cat sat on the mat.
    The cat reclined on the mat.
    The fluffy tabby cat reclined peacefully on the striped woollen mat.
    You get the idea.

5. I agree with minniemix. Do the children really need to be using all the jargon?
    I'll never forget the day when I asked my 6-year old what she had learned at school and she replied: "Non-chronological reports"!!!!!
    Ridiculous!

6. we use the term WOW words but I do tell them the terminology. They love learning big words to tell their mums and dads. We always talk about alliteration, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, simile. I would say I was looking for a wow word to describe whatever we were talking about and then say that we call them adjectives etc. My class are Y1/2.