1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you evidence...

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Nazard, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

I think this came about as a misunderstanding of Ofsted advice.
    I think that Ofsted said they would drop into parts of lessons during inspections, that might be as short as 20 minutes, and that they would expect to see progress being made.
    I don't think this should then be extended to say: "pupils should make measurable progress every 20 minutes".

2. Thank you for your quick reply Nazard.
    My understanding was that Ofsted would see progression over a period of time and throughout the lesson but I was asked this question by someone else recently who seemed to understand it as though they were looking for progression literally every 20 mins.
    Do I just carry on as per my usual teaching then?

3. Perhaps they were thinking more along the lines of ensuring all children were engaged, enthused and on task?
    These forums are great! I learn such a lot!

4. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

This bit I agree with.

This is the extension that I have a problem with.

I am sure there has been a thread on this in the past, but I can't immediately find it. Basically, if you insist that pupils must make progress every 20 mins then you can quantify exactly how much progress that actually is. If you aim for three levels of progress from Yr 7 to Yr 11, then during this time the pupils will have, say, 3 hours of maths per week for approx 35 weeks per year (to allow for activity weeks, etc) for each of five years. This is approx 100x5 = 500 hours (because they leave before the end of the summer term in Yr 11).

500 hours is 1500 blocks of 20 minutes. If the pupils need to make three levels of progress over that time then they need to improve by 3/1500 of a level each 20 mins. That is 1/500 of a level, which is 0.002 levels per 20 min block.

Clearly this is an average, so in some 20 min blocks they might make more progress than this ;)

I hope it is clear that I think this is ridiculous (!), and clearly, recording this sort of 'progress' is not going to be useful.

I can't tell you that your 'usual teaching' is good, because I haven't seen it, but I would suggest not worrying about recording progress in 20 min chunks. Apart from anything else it won't actually give you _time_ to do any teaching !

I hope this is helpful - and the very best of luck with the observed lesson.

5. Thank you - you have put things into persepective for me! - I can stop worrying as much now! :)