1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you encourage pupils to ask for help?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by robyn147, Mar 5, 2012.

1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17258668
    Many teenagers are reluctant to ask for help when they are stuck, relying instead on friends and family instead of a teacher. Parents also said they lacked confidence in their understanding of modern maths methods.
    I would agree that many of my tutees don't seem to ask for help and often "don't get it". It seems that as they get older, less and less (or is that fewer and fewer) pupils ask for help when stuck.
    So what methods do you have when a pupil is stuck but seems reluctant to ask for help? How would you know if they were stuck and how would you tackle it?

2. My classes seem to be split between (about 20%) who generally get it and ask for help when they need it and two groups of about equal size who either dont ask for help when they need it or ask for help before they have thought at all.

3. hi Robyn

I used to try and develop a 'no fear' (of being ridiculed) atmosphere and encourage children to always say what they thought even if not sure. Most came to realise that they were not alone and this encouraged them to speak up.

Beyond that, it was a case of trawling the room, looking at work and picking off problems one by one. If I found a few with same issue, I would get them around one table for a few moments and discuss it.

And, still there were some who didn't get it. But then I never got Chemistry!