1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you do it?!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by twitterbix, Jun 5, 2020.

1. twitterbix

twitterbix New commenter

I have 2 children and a baby. Husband is also a key worker.

This week I reached out to my line manager because I can't get all of my work done. I was very close to breaking point and even considered seeing if I could get signed off with stress.

How am I supposed to fulfil my full teaching role when I have my kids at home who need schooling, feeding, nappy changing, getting down for naps? How do other people do it? I'm burnt out and don't think I can continue like this until the summer holidays.

DaisysLot likes this.
  2. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Sorry to hear that you're struggling. Your second paragraph holds all the keys ... what adjustments did you ask for and how did your line manager respond? If you aren't able to reach agreement on a way forward that you can sustain, go and get signed off.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm in awe of anyone who tries.
    I just stayed home to look after my children. And even then I used to get stressed.

4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I would get signed off.
    I wouldn't bother entering into any dialogue with the school.
    Phone your GP and tell them what your job is.
    Say that you don't wish for an appointment, but you wish to speak to your GP on the phone. And just explain what you told us. Tell your GP you are stressed and do not know "where that will lead"
    I am pretty sure you will be sent a medical note for stress. Request it. It's a pretty clear cut phone appointment for a GP. You don't even need your temperature taking.
    You don't need to be a hero for your school.
    But your own kids might be needing a hero.
    Most of all, you need some space during the day for yourself, and neither parenting nor home teacing allow much of this on their own individual merits. Try and do them together and yes, you'll make yourself ill.

5. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

It's a nightmare. My wife went to see her mother at her garden today for the first time in 3 months. I just about managed to get my boy through his school work by 11, then realised i had missed a meeting, raced to my computer to catch the end of it, then managed to make 5 phone calls in the afternoon to vulnerable families, did ****** all teaching related activity or paperwork which has been piling up since February. So stressful!

agathamorse, DaisysLot and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Hang in there people - We're all juggling....

I'm quite enjoying not having the drive to and from School daily and the early morning schedule... but indeed recognising I'm working in 'bits' over 7 days, and getting the majority done between 9-11pm when the kids are in bed.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

Speak to your Union.

Have you and your husband applied to use the facilities available for the children of key workers ?

Has your husband told his employer also?

8. twitterbix

twitterbix New commenter

My drive is short, it doesn't bother me. My early mornings still exist. My baby doesn't sleep through the night and my kids are early risers (5 to 6 am every day). I'm falling asleep by 9!

agathamorse likes this.
  9. twitterbix

twitterbix New commenter

2 children aren't in school and were looked after my grandparents over 70.
    Husband has much less work to get through, his workplace are not getting teachers to do as much as mine.

Yes I have been in touch with rep. She said just make sure I don't work on my days off to catch up because I'm not paid for them.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. twitterbix

twitterbix New commenter

Sorry, this reads as if my husband is a teacher. He isn't now but does work in a school. (Don't want to be specific as it's a niche role)

agathamorse likes this.
  11. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

There was a really woolly article on here yesterday about what you should do if you don't have childcare - it basically said, 'speak to your school'. No mention of actual rights or what happens if school can't or won't make adjustments for you. It's a nightmare, and the problem is it looks like schools won't even be back to normal in Sep. Getting signed off might be the only option, but I would try to work things through with your school first. More and more nurseries are now opening to key worker children now if that's an option you could look into. Good luck

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

You are in an impossible situation. Nothing I can usefully add other than I don't see how you can be expected to do it, and you certainly shouldn't blame yourself in any way for not being able to.

I agree being signed off with stress might be a way out, and you need a way out. You can't perform the impossible.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. install

install Star commenter

So you are part time. And has your workload increased?

14. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter