1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you do it?- EAL subject leader

Discussion in 'EAL' started by grdwdgrrrl, Aug 15, 2019.

1. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

I have a nice little leaflet about the first 100 days as an EAL coordinator that has been put out by the NALDIC's EAL Journal. We have a small department serving from 50-70 students. Our main model is 3x week withdrawal by year groups. In the past, the two support teachers shared the year groups but this year I want to split them among us and increase our in-class support opportunities. We are a 5 form primary school so we are spread a bit thin.
    I am looking at any one's ideas or experiences that might give me ideas. I'm looking at the timetables today to find ways to not only spread our withdrawal support across the curriculum instead of only during English/literacy lessons but insert ourselves in classes regardless of the subject.
    How do you find time to collaborate with class teachers? If you can't get that time, how do you go into a class 'prepared'?
    I do have access to the medium term plans and have, in the past, brought into class basic resources for support like word/picture mats, anchor charts and the like that support the curricular area being taught in the lesson. This has required me to run around to the teachers and ask what they, individually are doing on the day because they don't always follow their timetable to the letter, for many reasons.
    Have I just answered my own query? Any feedback much appreciated.

2. yasf

yasf Established commenter

We were always given time to collaborate - notably when units of inquiry were being planned by the class teachers. It was an essential part of the process if we were to work effectively together. Input at the start is important.
    Difficult - especially if you are to anything more than just a support assistant.
    Sounds like you are doing a sterling job - given the circumstances.

As mentioned before, IMHO if you are to be an EAL teacher rather than just an EAL assistant you need to be present and play an active role in the planning stages. When I taught PYP, my school supported - nay, insisted on this. How would your SLT and class teachers react ?

3. grdwdgrrrl

The different subjects are planned remotely, each teacher in the year group plans that subject. They don't even collaboratively plan. However, I am now included in the year group meetings.

4. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Is this in primary ?
    ah
    Well that's a good thing.

Out of interest, what's the EAL population of your school look like ?

5. grdwdgrrrl

Roughly 30% are on support. 50%+ are in UKS2. Nearly all nationalities getting EAL support are Asian