1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you differentiate poetry for SEN/LA children?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gsm1380, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Hi everyone, I am an NQT and I have a year 4 class. I have 2 boys who have a great deal of difficulty with almost all aspects of the curriculum. One boy has SEN and one School Action plus. Neither of them can write a sentence without 1:1 support, their reading/writing levels are about 1b/a.

In literacy this week I've just read that we have to read poems by Walter de la Mare and some others. But so much as looking at a poem is going to confuse them as they won't be able to read it or extract meaning. How can I then expect them to meet the objective which is to discuss what poem they like best and why, and comment on the features of the poem?

What do I do?!? I would appreciate any ideas you have :)

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Do lots of oral work initially reading the poems, such that they become familiar with them. Then they can draw annotated drawings and write a sentence about which they like.

For extended work you could give them much simpler poems or rhymes to read and comment on. Ask your year 1 teachers for some great poems.

Also have a look at the year 1 literacy strategy and see what sort of activities are there.