1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you describe the feeling?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by gymjack, Aug 27, 2015.

1. gymjack

gymjack New commenter

When all your friends are gearing up to go back to work and you're not. I felt like whooping for joy and skipping round the kitchen this morning.

Mind you subconsciously my body clock must realise it's THAT time of year because I've had a succession of 'school dreams.' You know the type I mean: everything out of control, you don't know what you're doing, kids are running riot. Last night I had two, in the second one I was arguing with a former head I worked for about the size of rulers he was proposing to order! Bizarre.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Great! I hope you actually did the whooping and skipping.

As for the dreams, after 6 years they aren't so frequent - only every few months now

(What does that job do to us [​IMG])

3. carioco

carioco New commenter

Smug? :)

No anxiety dreams here. Just keep being astounded that I don't have to go to work!

frangipani123 likes this.
  4. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

I was discussing this feeling with another recent retiree yesterday, at a lovely garden centre ,over a late lunch. I feel relieved, happy, relaxed,but ,anxious for a few friends who are scared to be going back to a difficult situation in a new school .The last school I was in has been closed ( A middle school ), so people I know are all over the place,literally and facing new jobs, in unfamiliar surroundings, at a late stage in their careers .After a year of retirement I feel so much less stressed and up tight.No GCSE results to brood over this summer,no worries about my new timetable or an impending OFSTED .Have not had any of those dreams mentioned, just a general sense that the pressure is off. My life is my own, to do with as I see fit. Planning a cheap holiday for September has helped !!!

5. Nikkibell811

Nikkibell811 New commenter

Gymjack - I've had those dreams throughout the last week. I'm glad it's not just me!

I resigned and left my job in July with the intention of doing supply. I have now decided to actually take my pension in January on my 56th birthday. I was worried about that being too early but I am now completely happy with my decision. Supply may or may not happen and if it does I shall have money for more holidays

I taught and was SLT in a local primary school very close to my house. Every time I walk past, I get a feeling of pure joy that I do not have to be in there setting up for the new school year. It's wonderful.

Best wishes to all the other new retirees.

6. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I count myself as retired as I claim my pension, but I do work one day a week and have to admit to a watered-down version of back to school depression. My PT job is nice - but is it awful of me to say that I would rather not have to be bothered working at all? [​IMG]

7. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

How do I feel about not having to go back to school at the beginning of another new term? Sweet; sublimely sweet!

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The only back to school preparation I've even thought about is new shoes! I was Early Years so I wore comfy boots anyway and have ordered some.

9. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Haven't had time to think about going/not going back. Too busy planning my September holiday[​IMG]

10. craigy77

craigy77 New commenter

Well, school started back in my area of Scotland two weeks ago. I had taught since 1977, been in same school since 1979. Had many great times as a Technical teacher and Head of Department but could not do it any more- the SQA destroyed my love of teaching.

I feel relieved. Happy to have my health to live my life for me. I still feel a little sad that I was forced out, not at a time of my choosing but with an enhanced pension from the local authority who are scrapping head of department jobs.

I now feel retired. I have holidays booked to see my children. Think it takes a few months to get over the trauma of the job though.

11. tim2101taichi

tim2101taichi New commenter

Feel like I am playing hookey! Totally chilled and absolutely no regrets. Did my 35 years - went 18 months early for marginally less pension, early days but the stress relief is palpable. Tai chi classes, hypnotherapy course to do and whatever else I fancy once I have done th e odd bit of home improvement the other half requires. Quite enjoy getting up to see her off to work and make breakfast!

12. Just back from two weeks up the Amazon and Peru. About as far away from the September new term as I could manage. 'New' Academy couldn't even email me last set of GCSE results! Did have a few dreams. The last was of me packing away coursework and my replacement asking for help. In real life I never met him and in the dream his pleading was ignored as I left.

It is over.

(Only drawback with Peru is that they wear Brit School uniforms and went back to School as well... almost no escape!)