1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you decide what you should teach?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by milliebear1, Jan 1, 2012.

1. It will depends on your school, as some are much more prescriptive than others.
    But...
    The legal requirement for what you legally MUST cover in each key stage is set out in the NC document. Then you need to know how much of that is covered elsewhere, in other year groups in your school, making sure you 'plug any gaps and repeat areas that need to be taught every year.
    Then, if you're lucky, you might get some say about actual topics. Personally, I would choose these based on my own expertise or interest, as I will probably teach those things better. Otherwise, you might teach areas for which there are lots of existign resources, or you might follow a commercial scheme of work.

2. Er rather than your own interests, you could use the children's interests as they will have a higher level of engagement if they are interested in the topic.

3. I could, but then I'd probably end up having to do a history topic on the development of computer games or literacy on 'Fairy Magic' books...
    Children need to have a good knowledge and understanding of important events and quality literature. They will always be engaged by them if they are taught enthusiatically and well by a knowledgeable and anthusiastic teacher. It is why I adore the Tudors and Vikings now as an adult - a primary teacher who was passionate about these areas and taught them brilliantly and evocatively as a result.

4. NQT88

NQT88 New commenter

Thanks for the advice.
    I've been searching through this websites links for assessment sheets (fromt the national numeracy and literacy strategy) but I'm having trouble finding some that are clear and easy to use. Any tips for this?

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Your new school ought to have things like assessments and schemes of work in place. They may not, but they should have most schools will. Is there someone at school, your mentor maybe, who you can contact and ask?

The last thing you want to do is plan something they covered last term, or in year 5.

6. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Indeed, most schools will have some sense of a long term plan which outlines this - even if it's to say that you should use the QCA units of work as your guide.

7. NQT88

NQT88 New commenter

Thanks for the reassurances.
    I suppose I'm panicing slightly as the first time I'll have any information on how they plan, the children I teach and what is expected of me will be a couple of days before the children come back.
    Hopefully I'll know more when I get there.