1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you deal with teachers who display minor misbehaviour?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by September, Jan 20, 2011.

1. September

September New commenter

Two members of my faculty constantly fail to meet deadlines, arrive late to work on a regular basis, fail to attend meetings, get out of parents evenings due to urgent appointments , I think you get the gist, the list is endless. When I discuss these situations with my line manager and ask for support I am asked to meet with the member of the dept informally and raise my concerns with them. Then Hey Presto the teacher then makes a scence and runs to the HeadTeacher complaining about me. I am then asked to lay off the member of staff and the original issues are never dealt with. I am at a loss as to what to do as it seems nothing gets resolved and the members of the faculty just continue to behave in an unprofessional manner. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. September

September New commenter

Two members of my faculty constantly fail to meet deadlines, arrive late to work on a regular basis, fail to attend meetings, get out of parents evenings due to urgent appointments , I think you get the gist, the list is endless. When I discuss these situations with my line manager and ask for support I am asked to meet with the member of the dept informally and raise my concerns with them. Then Hey Presto the teacher then makes a scence and runs to the HeadTeacher complaining about me. I am then asked to lay off the member of staff and the original issues are never dealt with. I am at a loss as to what to do as it seems nothing gets resolved and the members of the faculty just continue to behave in an unprofessional manner. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

3. You need to get in there first with the head and complain about them. You also need to keep a record and plant it in the head's lap. If your head still ignores it, then give up. Not worth your effort.

4. September

September New commenter

Thanks for the reply. I have raised the concerns with the Head on numerous occasions and they direct me to speak to my line manager who is the Deputy Head. I agree that I may have to give up but it is really frusturating when people are allowed to get away with things like this.

5. Hi. I definitely wouldn't give up. Teachers like this give others a bad name and a lot of extra work. This wouldn't be tolerated in other industries!
    Keep a record of all lates, but to be fair, you'll have to do this for everyone in your department. It should be the cover officer's job, but you can do a back up version. Keep a log of meetings and issues; minute all meetings and if necessary, have another member of staff present as your witness if you anticipate a complaint. Be unemotional and factual. Ensure you are following the guidelines in your school policies regarding time off etc. If you're emailing deadlines, etc, keep a copy of all sent emails and cc in your (and therefore their) line manager, ie your deputy. Notice any improvements and comment on these. Set challenging Performance Management targets- this is one of the few ways to hold someone to account. If you decide to make a complaint about them, depending on your school's code of conduct / ethics, you may to tell them first, then put it in. They shouldn't be allowed to put in a grievance if you have started competency first.
    Good luck, D