1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you deal with absence at GCSE level

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by Smithsboy, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Smithsboy

Smithsboy New commenter

In my final year GCSE class there are 2 or 3 pupils who range from solid to excellent ability, but whose attendance was patchy last year, partly for medical reasons but not always. 2 of the 3 have started this term in the same manner and one will now be out of school for about 3 weeks, meaning a mid October return.

With this year moving at such a pace, I am constantly on the pupils case about the pressures of time, given how early the GCSE art year finishes compared to others. I'm not sure the parents parents in particular 'get' it and possibly think there is some magic wand you can wave in May to push the grades up by 2 or 3 because of the absences. They are behind already and I have little confidence attendance will ever get to 100% or anywhere close. My view is always to be realistic, and I think Art teachers know instinctively when it just becomes too late for pupils. Just wondering how others deal with this?

2. forthejoyofit

forthejoyofit New commenter

Will they attempt work set for them to complete at home? is there some research they could be getting on with? So long as you are setting work, at this level it is up to them whether they do it or not....depends what the ailment is I suppose.
    For every student, making art is a physical process and they've got to want to do it. There needs to be enough evidence: I would keep their predicted grades on the low side and take a copy of the marking scheme along to parent's evening.

Smithsboy likes this.
  3. Smithsboy

Smithsboy New commenter

Will certainly send work home to keep myself right - whether they complete it, and to what standard is another thing. 100% right on the physicality of the subject - making PRODUCT is what its all about and I am always banging on about working habits and routines. Thing is, unlike lots of other subjects where you can maybe cram at the start of May for two exams having got all the notes you missed, and at least have a stab at, you just can't do it. Still think pupils, parents (and even some other teachers!) dont get this idea that we are not just rehearsing or preparing for something at the end of the year. Every lesson, every homework, is a performance, and evidence, the moderator will see on the day.

Will keep repeating the mantras to all who listen!