1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you copy a DVD-RW?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grandelf, Mar 8, 2012.

1. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

if you are going to rip a dvd you need to use a piece of software. Very often if you lappy has a dvd writer (you link didn't work so cant tell) eg 3herosoft DVD maker or Nero dvd maker.
    You put the dvd in the lappy, shut down the film if it auto plays, open the dvd maker and follow the on screen instructions.

HOWEVER

you must have closed the recorded using your DVD recorder from the TV before you are able to do anything with it.

2. margie2

margie2 New commenter

Thanks Grandelf (what the hell is a "lappy", a laptop?). My link does work BTW: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pcs/1288900/hp-pavilion-p6-2022uk-desktop-pc-bundle/specifications. I have indeed finalised the DVD after the recording, not sure if it makes any difference. This Nero software to copy DVDs, is it downloadable for free?

3. What Tv program is it....will it be shown again?

4. It says it has a DVD writer capability.
    Normally...when you buy a PC with a DVD writer you get some software like NERO or similar to do the writing. Suggest you check your bundled software to see if you have something installed already.

5. margie2

margie2 New commenter

@ Bauble. It was an inconsequential C4 programme on the police round Pitlochry (where my friend lives), it may well be repeated as, I think, C4 often repeats progs.

Thanks Mick for checking and for your help. I've checked All Programs on my PC and no Nero or similar. There is Windows DVD maker though (can't make sense of it...) is that any good for what I need?

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If your school/college has an ICT/Media/Repro technician, ask if they've got a disc duplicator. Basically two interlinked CD/DVD drives in a box where you put the original in the top tray and a blank disc in the bottom tray.

Push a button, wait a few minutes and Bob's your Uncle. I liked it so much I bought one for home.

7. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Assuming you have a DVD writer on your PC, drag the files you want into a folder on your PC , put a blank disc in your drive and either windows will cue you to copy something to it, or if it doesn't, drag files to the disc and follow the instructions.

9. The quickest and easiest way is to use an online copying program. This means that you don't need to download any software and it is a simple 'follow the instructions on screen' procedure.

I use Roxio - it is free for non commercial use, try it.
    It was recommended by the IT dept at work.

10. Can you post a link to this...it sounds brilliant.

11. Rather than going to all this hassle, couldn't your friend just watch it on 4OD like I did?

PS your link works, but only if I copy and paste it into my browser!

12. OOOH...I apologise - it appears not to be available on OD anymore.
    That's very odd.
    I watched part of the episode you're talking about online as a friend of mine was in it and I missed the initial airing...I'll see if I can find it anywhere else.

13. now I'm really confused.
    I couldn't get to it through the 4OD website, but Google 'watch coppers online' and you will get access to the 4OD website where you have 18 days to watch the Pitlochry episode.
    Hope that goes some way to solving the problem!

14. margie2

margie2 New commenter

Thanks everybody, a lot to take in for me. This Roxio programme sounds great, have you got a link for downloading Applecart?