1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you cope with very rude pupils?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by MisterFlibble, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Had one (I'd been forwarned about) who decided to answer the register with "f off"... in that case he was so obviously pushing for a reaction and to start off with a confrontation I ignored it completely, continued the register, marking him in and carried on. Got to the end of the register and he was so utterly deflated and really concerned I hadn't marked him in as he hadn't answered his name... he was utterly angelic for the rest of the lesson because his big opening shot in the battle hadn't worked! Passed it onto his class teacher at the end - but sometimes depending on the kid, not digging in the battle lines is the smarter course of action. Normally I'd be livid and go in heavy - but that one was so obviously just setting the scene to chuck a strop and have a fight to start the day with and crack the supply!

2. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Occasional commenter

I agree, ignore it pretending you didn't hear, or go in heavy. For me there would be no in-between, as a supply teacher - assuming I am not there in the classroom to deal with social problems.

I

3. Mathsteach2

I agree, ignore it pretending you didn't hear, or go in heavy. For me there would be no in-between as a supply teacher, assuming I am not there in the classroom to deal with social problems.

If on ignoring the remark, the child persists and forces me to hear it by repeated utterings, then I go in heavy again. By heavy, I would refuse to teach the child that day, threatening a full report to higher authority, even the police.

If SMT refused to remove the child from my classroom, I would walk out of the school, again backed up by a full report in writing to all concerned, parents, HT, Board of Governors, agency, local authority and police.

The school would have contingency plans anyway to cover the class, as long as I informed them that I was on my way out. If SMT said "Get back in that classroom!" I would collapse on the floor with a mild heart attack. They would have to call an ambulance. Again, full reporting to all concerned, and the press.

Sorry about the double post, I do not know what happened, and I cannot change it now.

4. Mathsteach2

BTW, why would I inform the police?

Because some forms of verbal abuse are not far short of physical abuse, as far as I am concerned in a school classroom. This one is particularly violent, I think. Detention! You must be joking!

As I say, as a supply teacher we are only there to deliver the lesson plan and content, unless such directives include a requirement that we have to deal with disruptive behaviour entirely on our own.

On supply I never worked in a school where I was not given full backing by SMT. I was successful over the three years I did it (JMI and secondary science), being frequently called back by those schools. Others never asked me again!

5. Swear at them back? When in Rome, etc. ;)

6. I did some supply in a hell-hole that was closing down. The kids ruled the place. It was saddening to listen to the half-mad head still bullying his staff as they sought jobs elsewhere. Anyhow, I moved the desk to the back of the room and used the angle of 'I'm cooler and un-phased by you' (to both the kids and the half mad head).He tried to tell me off for appearing 'Laid back'! I walked and left him standing there. The school was eventually closed and he was eventually 'retired'. The desk thing worked though.

7. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

What a wicked idea, that really would get SMT worked up. [​IMG].
    My view if I'm sworn at directly I'll give the culprit to apologise (don't laugh, it sometimes works), should they refuse I'll just let them know that I will be reporting it but don't get into an arguement about it. Often they are kind enough to strengthen my case by coming out with a torrent of swear words questioning my status at birth and suggesting I go off and multiply. Thanks for the extra "ammo" boys (and sometimes girls).
    But in some schools swearing has become part of the student's normal language and not aimed at you, in these cases I suggest "selective hearing".
    Swearing yourself when you have just set the desk alight during a science demo causes great asumement within the class but does tend to tarnish one's cool and confident professional image.

8. Tee Hee ! A kid once asked me what sort of music I liked,so I replied 'Folk music'. Said kid thought I said **** music and said, 'I only asked sir'.