1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you cope with the summer drop in trade?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by briancant, Jun 15, 2019.

1. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

My work load has fallen since the last A level maths paper from 5 lessons a day to 5 a week. I'll be marking papers soon and taking a holiday but it is a bit of a shock to the system. I'm wandering about like a zombie at the moment. Does anyone have any ways of keeping business over the summer and picking up new students quickly after September? I'm wondering whether it is possible to start resit classes early in the summer particularly given the feedback from some students about the A level papers.

2. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

It depends. I've taken temp jobs over the summer sometimes, which earns me extra money and gets me out of the house. Not in schools or education, mind.

I do like the extended holiday though.

3. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

Exam marking-plus any extra you can do.
    Budget throughout the year to cover the summer drought.
    Quality resource creation and selling on TES (not a guaranteed income though).
    If you haven't already, try to tutor a range of ages: all year 11 students will now have finished their tuition but year 9 and 10 should continue until the summer holidays at least.

4. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

The drop off in demand for tuition over summer is inevitable. I can't see anyone wanting to do resit classes before they get their results, especially for A level where they wouldn't be able to resit before next summer. Good advice from cwilson1983 to get a range of ages, I have year 9, 10 and 12 students continuing and a couple who want to continue lessons over the summer holidays. I've actually found the new A levels have improved things, as previously Year 12 students would stop lessons after AS exams in May but now continue into July.

5. bramblesarah

bramblesarah New commenter

I have a similar issue. However, I have picked up one functional skill adult learner and another year 10 soon to be year 11 is starting in July. I also have a few siblings that will be starting in September. With regards to exam marking, I am still technically an NQT as I have worked in supply, adult education and tuition for the past 4 years. Do you think I stand any chance of marking?

6. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Very good advice about spreading your clients over the age range. I've just had loads of exam students this year plus about 5 year 9 students. I would love to run a summer A level maths course that covered the first year material so students could start the second year went they went to college. I would go as far as to say a capable student could complete the whole maths A level over the ten weeks off.

bramblesarah I would say you would have a very good chance of marking. Get some applications off and see how you do. It's a lot of work for very little reward though.

Mrsmumbles and bramblesarah like this.
  7. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I teach a range of ages and also adults because it's languages. In general the adults carry on as it's no different for them , the teens want a break , the primaries carry on on a bit of an ad hoc basis because mums want something for them to do . I try to diary them together so I can have a few whole days off here and there but it doesn't always work

sabram86 likes this.
  8. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

Definitely try to do a few different year groups. You could also run some classes for groups of students who might not be able to afford private 1:1 sessions but don't mind forking out a smaller amount for a class of 5 or 6 students? Depends if you have a room with a table for this!