1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you cope with the results pressure?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by hammie, Sep 7, 2012.

1. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

no matter how much you worry they will not improve, in fact exactly the opposite. Teach the best you can. What else can you do?
    it's a job.
    you get all the krap about it being their only chance etc
    perhaps they should work a bit harder then!
    and it is not their only chance, they can go back and do some night school when they have grown up a bit!
    and forget all the magic bullet
    my experience is that the teachers whose classes work harder get better results, in general that has been the senior profesional in each department! rarely the Head of dep

2. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

I totally agree. If you can get the kids to shut up and work solidly then they will do well in most subjects.

3. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

Did you sit the exams, then?
    I'm sure your Yr 11s would have loved you to, but the results are theirs, not yours and it's their responsibility to do the work.

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i understand it is not easy to resist all the pressure from various (usually none class room teaching quarters)
    Eventually you will get used to it and develop a thicker skin.

5. Thanks for all of your responses, you are right I need to just remember it is their exams and their result is mainly dependent on their effort. I think/hope I will get used to it. It's frustrating that teachers are measured so strongly against their value-added. If this was taken away then I think I wouldn't place so much focus on it. But I feel as if this is my 'ranking' and if it is negative than this means i am not a successful teacher.

6. katie1911

katie1911 New commenter

im finding this thread interesting because i totally agree that the students think that its all about what WE do and nothing about how THEY work. I feel that they turn up in my lesson and are there, already judging me like "come on then, teach me......" not with a willing to learn or be involved.
    and no matter how much we tell ourselves that it is down to the students not working hard enough, that will never be an excuse for SLT or OFSTED.
    rock and a hard place.

7. It's true. I also teach an English only class and the majority of them couldn't give two hoots about gaining a GCSE. They just tell me that they are going to work for their dad's building company. Half of them have insanely high target grades but cannot concentrate for more than 10 minutes at a time. Despite this my school expects me to get the students the target grades or I have to explain why they have underacheived by filling in forms explaining why each and every stuent received the grade they did. This whole process adds to the feeling that it is my fault and not theirs.

8. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i wonder if they've noticed the slump in the construction sector and the soon to be removal of benefits from young people until they have put something in first.
    no doubt the next thing will be that you are "required" to give them extra lessons after school.
    incidentally from the 26th you can refuse under the terms of the new "work to rule"

9. I always say this to my department: have you taught them the syllabus? Did you do revision in class? Practice papers? Give the appropriate feedback on assessments? Yes? Good. Can you sit the exam for them? No.

In my write up on results this year I'm soooo tempted to include the phrase "you can lead a horse to water..." on every page.

10. The pressure on individual teachers doesn't diminish with experience. In fact, some schools put more on in order to prove whatever they wish to prove, usually to prevent UPS payment or such like.