1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you cope with morning sickness at work?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by latortuga, Jan 19, 2011.

1. latortuga

latortuga New commenter

I'm about 7 weeks now, and feeling so sick. I'm being sick once or twice a day, and heaving quite a lot. It's worse in the morning, but happens throughout the day. I've just had 2 days off because I was feeling so rough, but obviously can't stay off for weeks!!
    So how do you manage the sickness while teaching?! I'm getting hungry every hour and feel sick unless I eat something before getting too hungry - obviously I can't eat while teaching. I can't just leg it from my room if I'm going to be sick.
    Any tips for getting through it?! I'm trying sea bands at the moment which have helped a bit today - but any suggestions are more than welcome!!
    Thanks x

2. latortuga

latortuga New commenter

I'm about 7 weeks now, and feeling so sick. I'm being sick once or twice a day, and heaving quite a lot. It's worse in the morning, but happens throughout the day. I've just had 2 days off because I was feeling so rough, but obviously can't stay off for weeks!!
    So how do you manage the sickness while teaching?! I'm getting hungry every hour and feel sick unless I eat something before getting too hungry - obviously I can't eat while teaching. I can't just leg it from my room if I'm going to be sick.
    Any tips for getting through it?! I'm trying sea bands at the moment which have helped a bit today - but any suggestions are more than welcome!!
    Thanks x

3. lidlest

lidlest New commenter

You say 'obviously I can't eat while teaching'... well I do, nothing stopping you sticking your head in a cupboard for a second and munching a bit of sandwich, or having a biscuit on your desk that you nibble every now and then (I do ).

Most Pupils have never said anything about this to me, and the ones that have I just tell them that sadly life isn't fair and I make the rules in my classroom. I am sure lots of people will have a problem with that, but nevermind, i still get my biscuit tommorow.

4. I second lidlest. Eat. It was the only way I got through. I also went to the doctors and was prescribed some medication when I needed to go on school trips and I couldn't travel without throwing up. I also told a couple of my TAs so they could step in if I needed to rush off or looked off colour.
    Do what you need to for you and baby.

5. You need to eat often to help the sickness. I have crackers next to my bed, in my school desk and my cupboard in my classroom. You don't eat while you're actually teaching, but there are many moments when you are not right next to the children i.e I munch as the children come in, during register time, when they're working fine independently, as soon as school is over etc.
    I'm sure you'll find plenty of key moments when you can snack too. None of the children have noticed and if they do, so what. x

6. Coca cola, poured into a flask in advance and kept on your desk! Perhaps not the healthiest option for a pregnant person but I found it helped with the sickness and the kids will assume it is tea or coffee. I wouldn't normally teach with a coffee on my desk but I know a HoD who always does and nobody has ever questioned it. Or you could deliberately leave somebody's book or a resource in a nearby room, and say "oh, I've forgotten to bring X. I'll just pop and get it" You can cram in a cracker or a hob nob in 30 seconds or so!

7. I agree too - after a couple of weeks of feeling generally yucky (about week 7-9 I think) it turned into a case of "Ooh, I'm feeling a bit hungry - I have about a one minute window in which to eat something - too late, now I feel a bit wobbly and sick" I didn't go anywhere without an emergency chewy bar, emergency banana and emergency bottle of water and yes I craved coke and would have a nice, cold, sugary bottle to hand most afternoons for a week or so to keep me going.
    Definitely nibble in class as and when it's least inappropriate, especially if you can find little opportunities before you actually get the very short warning that you're starving/need something NOW!
    I would also second the idea of telling a colleague in the next classroom and/or your TA if you feel able to as it would be a practical help as well as some support for you.
    Hope it goes away soon! [​IMG]

8. Yes, emergency rations of whatever helps.... biscuits, sarnies, crackers and cram some in whenever you can! I had ginger ale in a bottle which I necked frequently, really helped. You just have to do what you can to survive.
    Hang on in there- this will get better in a few weeks!

9. bella1981

bella1981 New commenter

Well as of today I have been given an unfit to work note due to morning sickness or should it be called all day sickness ladies? Think alot of this is due to the dizziness I am experiencing too amd have been adviced to rest and snack. I agree with what everyone else is saying about the snacking as feel it does help. I had a pack of biscuits outside my classroom door in a cupboard so just nipped to get one when needed.

10. I used to throw up in the sink in the loos (I couldn't hold it in for the extra 5 steps to the actual toilet)! The bathroom is a good minute or so walk away so I had to scamper like mad! I told my TA and colleague next door about the problem and they agreed to watch any class if I bolted out of the room.
    Travel bands and peppermints saved the day after 13 weeks when the sickness was getting better but hadn't totally gone. Extra strong mints gave me a sugar burst and I used to tell the kids it was for my sore throat! They bought this and didn't start the whole 'we're not allowed to eat' thing.
    HTH.

11. dilly_84

dilly_84 New commenter

Oh the sickness, I really do feel for you. I'm 16 weeks and I'm only ill a couple of times a week now which is soooo mch better. My sickness started on day 28 of the cycle, 3 days later I was curious so took a pregnancy test, still came as a bit of a shock though!
    I ended up telling my HT quite early about pregnancy as I was being ill every hour or so and I wanted him to be aware that I was going to take things easy for a few weeks and that occasionally he may see me running down the corridor. My doctor tried signing me off but I declined (this was a stupid, stupid thing to do and I have promised myself never to do it again [​IMG])
    Unfortunately nothing worked for me until about week 10 when it got more manageable then I pretty much survived on Fruit Pastilles and fizzy lemon and lime drinks. I felt much better by 10pm each night but then all I wanted was stodgy foods such as chips etc.
    Tiredness also seemed to make it worse so a couple of times when I was free first lesson, I asked it I could come in later and have a bit of a lie-in.
    So basically: take it easy, maybe let HT or someone at school know so they can look out for you, find any type of food/drink that works for you and munch it whenever you can. Luckily you can sneak a fruit pastille in your mouth without any kids seeing!
    Also, even though I didn't believe this, it WILL go...promise!
    Dilly x

12. I know exactly how you feel, I was going to write this message mysef!
    I am almost 7 weeks and since Monday have been having such awful feelings of sickness and dizziness. I feel absolutely starving within seconds of feeling fine and think I am going to be sick if I don't eat. I travel for about an hour to work and almost had to pull over the other day to throw up. I haven't actually been sick yet though.
    I couldn'[t go to work the other day and went to the drs instead. He suggested sucking on root ginger (which I can't stand) or wearing the bands, but he ended up prescribing me some tablets called metocloprazone of something like that. You have to take them 3 times a day but so far they seem to have worked. I feel awful straight away in the morning but by the time they get working I feel better. He also suggested eating little and often and said just have a biscuit or something when I am hungry. I take loads of food into work now and eat when I can. I have ended up getting up in the middle of the night and having a biscut as I am so hungry. I was driving home from work yesterday and had an overwhelming urge for chips so went to McDonalds for tea, I am going to be the size of a house soon! It is ridiulous isn't it?! He said his wife was sick from the minute they conceived until the day the baby was born pretty much. I am praying it doesn't stay like this for long.
    I ended up telling a colleague at work because everyone was so worried about me and said I looked terrible. I hate lying to them all but thought I needed to let one of them know.
    Good luck!x

13. please look after yourself - like other ladies have said 'eat - drink' I was throwing up constantly 'I was happy if I got through a session without having to run to the loo!' and I mean run -
    head knew I was pregnant and I said to him nicely obviosuly, I can either come to school but will be running out alot! or I can get signed off (which the doctor wanted to do) he said to me that as long as I was ok he was happy for me to run to the loo to throw up. The children didn't even realise I was gone half of the time - I used to yell to next doors class (who had a full time ta) as I ran down corridor to keep an eye on them. looking back this killed me! I was beyond tired/dehydrated to a ridiculous level, couldn't keep anything down.
    x