1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you come to a decision?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Jun 18, 2011.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

I am curious how folks make decisions....both life changing and trivail.
    Is it something forced on you, do you plan for it, do you wander into it....or even a sort of divine inspiration.
    Now that I seem to have entered a semi retirement phase I have so many 'possiblities' that i am lost as to what to try.(given the constriants of cash of course).
    What do you do?
    ps do not recomment me to be a spelling teacher, ... or the evil eyed perfectionists will be after me! [​IMG]

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

I am curious how folks make decisions....both life changing and trivail.
    Is it something forced on you, do you plan for it, do you wander into it....or even a sort of divine inspiration.
    Now that I seem to have entered a semi retirement phase I have so many 'possiblities' that i am lost as to what to try.(given the constriants of cash of course).
    What do you do?
    ps do not recomment me to be a spelling teacher, ... or the evil eyed perfectionists will be after me! [​IMG]

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I dunno, cos I am **** at making decisions. Quite how I manage to get dressed even I don't know.
    When it's an important decision, I am even worse - I just wait and wait until someone else decides for me!

I'd like some decision-making training.

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

make a list, toss a coin, act according to how I feel about the way the coin landed.

5. It's a balance of what I want to do and the practicalities. If I had lots of possibilities I'd maybe make a short list but generally I know what I want!

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I erm... now let me see, erm, do I do it that way? Erm.. no, probably not. Actually I'm not exactly sure... can I get back to you on that one?

7. Sheer whim starts me thinking; I then obsess over it. Anything that holds up to my "but what if", happens.
    OR, I just find myself in these situations. Generally this applies to anything someone's asked me "can you just" that really requires some thought but I find it impossible NOT to say yes to people. Or man situations.
    Simply put- I like to avoid conflict and confrontation. Whatever seem to fulfill that remit...

8. I am hopeless at making decisions.
    I overthink everything. I try and consider all possible outcomes, and a fair number of less-than-possible ones too.
    Some decisions are easier than others. I have started to have a veggie box delivered - so what to eat is based on which veggies will store better than others....and where my driver will take me in any given week - Morrisons means fish, they have a great fish counter - even better is the big fish market...into town means flirty butcher, so maybe game is on offer...
    What to wear is fraught with difficulties. (It used to be so much easier when my wardrobe was simply based on sloppy items in various shades of black and navy!)
    Holding a conversation can be impossible (which is why I regress so often into mutism!) I analyse <u>everything</u> the other person says. I search for hidden subtext even when the shopkeeper says 'good morning' ...it's not good it's raining...so was that irony, am I meant to smile?...is she saying I'm the next customer?...but I'm not finished browsing...so is she saying I need to hurry up?...is she trying to get my attention....why?!!!...am I blocking the aisle?....have I dropped something?...is she speaking to me or someone else...noone else is responding it must be me...and that's before I have to decide on an appropriate response!
    These everyday decisions take up a good deal of the day - any more major decision I dither over in the hope that someone else will make it for me!

9. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

Same as Lil and Beth. **** at making decisions, always run the worst case scenario through my head and end up believing that the outcome will be even worse.
    How I've got to 38 years of age more or less intact in mind and body is beyond me.xx

10. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

Actually to be fair I'm not that intact in either sooo....xx