1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you buy your wine? The real reasons....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mrs Peel, Feb 9, 2012.

1. I like a fancy label, or a medal or it says 'oaked' (white), 'spiced' (red)
    Oh, and on offer!!

2. I like a fancy label, or a medal or it says 'oaked' (white), 'spiced' (red)
    Oh, and on offer!!

3. Laithwaites by the case. Black Stump, President's XV delivered quarterly. Others if on offer.

4. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Usually the supermarket half price deals. mainly red but a few whites every now and again for risotto or fish dinners. Mainly new World wines and never French.

5. Sometimes that means that rather than being in an oak barrels the winemaker has stuck a pile of sawdust and chippings into the vat, stirred it about a bit and then sieved it out.

6. And those of you buying supermarket half price deals - you know they mark it up to mark it down so it's rarely a better deal than any other bottle on the shelf. They do it on everything. Half price cheddar in Tesco today is claiming that it's normal price is £12 a kilo. I'd pay that for parmesan or a speciality cheese but there's not one comparable cheddar at that price. Anyone want to guess what price by kilo the same cheese is when it's not on special offer..?

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Today got 2 bottles of Spanish white (Sauv Blanc) and 2 of Rose (Syrah/Tempranillo/Garnacha) 2.99 each from the Co-op. Plus 4 bottles of Californian Syrah £3.29 each from the same store. Pity they don't do the 5% reduction for 6 or more!

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Actually they use a large 'teabag' sort of thing full of oak chippings. It is an approved method and even some of the best winemakers use it.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Best guess is about £10 a kilo if Sainsbury's 2 for 1 branded cheddar offers are anything to go by.