1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you bring up that you're looking for another job to your HT?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lejanderson, Mar 24, 2012.

1. lejanderson

lejanderson New commenter

Hi everyone, hoping to get some advice from people who have had this experience.
    I'm currently looking for another job. I'm in my second year of teaching and job satisfaction is currently very low. The man-management skills at my school aren't the best at times and I feel that, as a new teacher, I could have been supported better. On reflection I think my confidence has been chipped away at for the past two years. Overriding this is that, in general, I'm not very happy with my living situation. When I took this job, I moved to a completely new area far from my family and friends. I just haven't settled and I'm ready to move back to somewhere that I'm more familiar with.This plan had been at the back of my mind for a while and I thought that I'd do another year thinking that "who knows what could change in a year?" But, after a hellish week, that's been easily the lowest of my career, I've concluded that my living situation isn't making how I feel at work any better and vice versa. I keep telling myself that I shouldn't be feeling this way this early in my career. Why settle for another year of feeling mediocre when I could do something about it? In short, I'm ready for a change and new start.
    I currently teach in England and am hoping to move to Scotland. Now, I know that I already have hoops to jump through with the GTCS Scotland with the huge list of documentation I have to provide. The sticking point being that one of which is a professional reference. I want to get the ball rolling as soon as possible and, therefore I need to broach the subject with my HT sooner rather than later.
    How do I do this? The difficulty is that I will only make the move if I get a position (I'm not in the position finacially to do so otherwise) and would be faced with staying at the school with a head and possibly staff that know that it's not my first choice place to be. I know that this is a very real proposition as the job situaiton is so dire.
    I'm sorry for waffling on but I needed a little vent and to explain the background to my decision! Basically I want to know how I should broach the subject without getting my HT's back up or creating a situation where it would be uncomfortable for me to still be teaching there next year should that happen.
    Thanks everyone!

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You go see your head and you say "Hello, I thought I should inform you that I am desperate to move location wise for personal reasons and so am planning on applying for relevant posts that come up in the near future. I do hope you will support my applications should they request references. "

3. I think your situation is much easier to explain honestly than other situations. Previous schools I've worked for or even people in my current school who have had this reason for going have been supported. Even in the case of my NQT year where two of us started as NQT's but my fellow NQT wanted to buy a house and be near family and couldn' t afford it in the town where we worked. I know she felt a bit bad given the training the school had invested in her and because she was leaving all the people she trained with behind but ultimately she had to have a stable home environment. She kept getting moved around in her house share and it was really stressful for her.
    Just be honest with the head in the sense of looking for posts and that you will be moving on when you have found something. Don't mention at this stage the support etc. The governors or head usually do an exit interview and you can air anything like this if you want to then. You are still bound my the notice periods and that gives the school enough time to find a replacement for you.
    I know someone who found a position at the last minute and handed her notice in virtually on the last day for notice to be given which didn't go down well. However, it meant she only had the bad feeling for 1/2 a term and knew she was going anyway so really didn't care.

4. lejanderson

In other people's experience, is it then awkward if you end up having to stay another year? I know that there's a good chance that may happen due to the job situation being so dire. It's hard to explain but, while I'm really keen to leave, I'd still do my best for the school and kids if I was there another year. I'd hate for SLT to think that I just wanted out and that that was all I cared about.

5. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

I've been applying for jobs for about a year now (specific area both physically and educationally) and there haven't been any problems with my head.

6. lejanderson

Thanks, that's encouraging to know. I hope my HT will feel similar.
    Are people of the opinion that the sooner the better? I'm dreading going into school to try and face that conversation as I know that there's a good chance I'll get upset and I want to be strong in front of the HT.

7. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Yes, as soon as you inform your HT about this, that's the 1st step to you moving forwward. As for getting upset - rehearse what you are going to say until you are confident and tell yourself that you want to move on "to gain valuable experience to enhance your performance as a good teacher" - try and separate the emotional side and be professional about it. Take deep breaths (again, practising this is essential!!) I think after 2 years it is perfectly normal and healthy to move on in your career and no HT can fault you for wanting to improve and grow as a member of the teaching profession.
    As for working in Scotland - get onto that asap and contact GTCS - things have been reorganised there somewhat but I'm not clear how that impacts on people in your position, sorry I can't be more helpful.
    Good luck!

8. lejanderson

Thank you. I'll just have to "man-up" as it were and go for it tomorrow! I've been going over and over in my head what to say and even practicing it aloud - I hope it helps!
    I think I'm clued-up enough on what I need to get registered there - been searching through all my paperwork for the relevant documentation! I've heard some horror stories of it taking a very long time to get it sorted though so I want to get the ball rolling asap. Ideally I'd like to go this year but I realise that this may not be possible. Fingers crossed...

9. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Why not send your head an email outlining the reasons as to why you wish to leave and make an appointment with his or her secretary for a meeting?

10. lejanderson

I work in a middle-sized primary school so I don't think I need to e-mail him for an appointment. I now just need to decide whether I wait to grab him at the end of school and ask for a quick word or whether I ask him for a time when he's free to talk. The latter might be better but I don't fancy the build-up to it. Sigh. It all seems silly but I guess, doing it for the first time, I don't really know what to expect.

11. I've been looking for another job for 18 months, having had my hours cut from full time to 2 1/2 days. All of my colleagues know that I have been trying to leave, and it hasn't made things at all difficult for me. As others have said, you have a valid reason for looking for a new post.

12. lejanderson

Thanks everyone. It's good to know that people have had positive experiences in this situation. I guess I just have to do it now! Wish me luck.

13. walkerly

walkerly New commenter

I really, really don't want to burst your bubble here but are you aware of the teaching stituation in Scotland. I am one of only a handful of teachers I graduated with 2 years ago who are in permanent full time employment. I am a Secondary Maths teacher and hearing from other people who are qualified primary teachers the employment figures are abysmal (sp?). There are currently very few jobs here in primary and although there are supply jobs the changes to the rules for supply mean that you will be paid at the lowest point on the scale. In saying that some people do manage to find work. Do you know where you want to work in Scotland? Remote areas may be your best bet but city jobs are few and far between. Best to have a look on myjobscotland.gov.uk as this is where all Scottish teaching jobs (state schools) are advertised.

14. Its

Its New commenter

We are desperately short of priests and religious in this country. There simply aren't enough in the pipeline.Our Catholic Priest, Fr Eddie Murphy, was killed in a road crash last Friday. We are devastated. A year ago our Bishop Michael finally died of the cancer which had been his faithful companion for seven long years. He kept working through it. Our last priest came from India where they have training colleges for 200 people at a time. He was excellent, he took a fresh look at everything and did a lot of good. He was in his 60s. The one before was blind, wore slippers on his swollen feet and was over 70 years old when he finally retired. He had gallantly filled the gap.

But in the rest of the world, the Catholic Church is thriving. In Singapore recently, I went to Mass in a Church that was, for about the third time that day, packed with worshippers. There were five priests. This was just a suburban parish. In Dubai a huge Church with a different congregation of over a thousand people every hour regularly attends Mass on Sundays. The secondary school next door is as big as any of our comprehensives and staffed entirely by professional and dedicated Catholics, mostly in religious orders. There is sport and the behaviour and dedication of the students simply amazing.
    I could go on.

I was a teacher who made the decision to go into the Anglican church. It didn't work out and I am now a Catholic myself. But, for the right person, it is a superb alternative to teaching and, of course, you can just be a teacher in a Catholic School too (abroad is perhaps better than here).
    OK this isn;t for everyone! But if you would like to contact me - stallard495@btinternet.com - just do it.

15. Scottish trained teachers can't find permanent jobs so I'd say that your chances of securing a post are remote honestly! In our area there are usually 200 plus applications for any job, permanent or part time. Think very seriously before jumping ship south of the border the grass is certainly not greener up here.

16. This sounds so much like me at the moment. I moved away for my current job and im in an area I dont know, 100 miles from home, friends and family. I've been honest with the head and told him last year (my NQT year) that as soon as a job comes up at home, I'm off. He seems to respect me for that, so honesty seems the best policy.
    I hope you find something soon and that it sorts itself out.

17. lejanderson

Thanks for your honesty. I've friends teaching in Scotland so I know that the job/supply situation is really dire. But it's much easier to look and apply when I know I've got a job here already should I be unable to find employment. I really don't think I'll move without having some kind of work lined up - that would probably be very foolish! At the end of the day, if I don't try then I'll never know! Got to at least have a go haven't I? I have to have confidence that I'm at least as good as the 200 (!) other applicants and hope that something about me or my application makes a school think I'm the right fit for them.
    I know where I would like to live, and I'm more than prepared to commute. I've just got to wait and see if anything turns up I guess - que sera sera! I'd say it's the living situation rather than my job that's making me unhappy but, of course, one effects the other and vice versa. Right now, my priority is to get registered with the GTCS so that I at least have the option to apply.

18. Don't be letting anyone burst your bubble! I am English trained, and left in August and haven't been out of work at all. I'm bettering paid on appropriate point on scale, which works out more than in England, albeit on temporary contracts. Though those temporary contracts are a foot in the door! I have networked, networked, networked, and been very proactive in my job search. You gavw exactly the same chance as any of the other applicants. Research the curriculum, and make links. I made a portfolio of examples to illustrate this which I was told really made me stand out. I handed in my notice in England without a job here, and it was the best move I ever made! I am so happy in Scotland and wish you all the luck that you will be too :)

19. lejanderson

Great news! Spoke to my HT and he was really lovely about it. He even said that he appreciated my letting him know so early in the process. All he wants me to do is to keep him informed of what's happening.
    Huge weight of my chest just in time for the holidays :)