1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you break up a fight?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by chris1729, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

then you have to go and get help yourself

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

yes, sometimes there is nothing you can do

afterwoods, the investigation has to be thorough enough, and the punishments severe enough, to deter students from similar reactions in the future.

I know of a school that excluded all 50 observers, and reported filmers to the police.

3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

Your original post said, you are on duty. If I were a 55 year old female my answer would be different.

I am not sure what point or advice you are trying to make. Fights happen. Teachers have a duty of car to themselves and the students. Each teacher has to make a judgement call at the time of the incident. Any further hypotheticals are pointless as each situation will be unique and have different factors e.g one of the two occasions I have had to intervene, one of my colleagues had been pushed to the floor and the fight was happening pretty much on top of him. I did not hesitate in getting in the middle of the two groups who were fighting as his safety was also under threat

4. rmr09

rmr09 New commenter

A heavily pregnant colleague of mine stepped in to break up a fight between two girls. The girls continued to claw at one another. I would not want to be put in that situation! God forbid something happened to the baby.

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm interested to know what the legal position is
    a) if you don't intervene alone because you judge there is a risk top your own safety and the combatants are injured
    b) if you do intervene and one or both of the combatants claim your intervention constitutes an assault.

chris1729 likes this.
  6. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/use-of-reasonable-force-in-schools

A part of it reads:
    All complaints about the use of force should be thoroughly, speedily and appropriately investigated.
    •Where a member of staff has acted within the law – that is, they have used reasonable force in order to prevent injury, damage to property or disorder – this will provide a defence to any criminal prosecution or other civil or public law action.
    •When a complaint is made the onus is on the person making the complaint to prove that his/her allegations are true – it is notfor the member of staff to show that he/she has acted reasonably.
    •Suspension must not be an automatic response when a member of staff has been accused of using excessive force.

Stiltskin, lindenlea and chris1729 like this.
  7. chris1729

chris1729 New commenter

Time to admit I've been disingenuous: I'm in my early 50s and male, and I'VE got osteoporosis. Thing is, you can't tell: if I intervene in a fight, and get pushed over, I could sustain a worse injury than anyone might expect, on the face of it.

In schools, we have procedures for all sorts of things, including for drills, evacuations and lockdowns. But we don't have procedures for fights, beyond "make your mind up on the spot." Yet fights will occur in a school at least as often as the fire alarm going off.

Intervening in a fight, in front of a crowd, is a difficult thing to do. We don't train teachers for such an event for the simple reason that it wouldn't be possible to do so. A police officer would train for such a situation, and practice, but teachers are expected to use "common sense".

Having said that, some of the replies here do contain good, sensible advice.

Corvuscorax likes this.
  8. caress

caress Occasional commenter

I've stopped three fights, by diving in rugby style or physically pulling the bigger one off the one getting the s*** knocked out of him. I'm female, 5'4" and weigh under 8 stone. But I trained for seven years in Muay Thai and learned how to disarm a knife, bottle and baseball bat along with restraint. :)

chris1729 likes this.
  9. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

Be aware of where your nearest fire extinguisher and narwhal tusk is?

10. chris1729

chris1729 New commenter

That's the way to do it!

caress likes this.
  11. chris1729

chris1729 New commenter

Is that official DFE advice? :)

caress likes this.
  12. htaylor16

htaylor16 New commenter

Only had to do it once, while diving in between two huge 6ft year 10 boys I shouted to anyone in the classroom to get help. I was more worried that they were fighting in a the co out or room and the damage to the equipment. Instinct took over, the fight stopped as soon as got between them. I’m a 5ft 4inches tall women, generally teenage boys don’t want to fought when there a women who looks like their mother standing between them.

13. littledragon25

littledragon25 New commenter

As an NQT many moons ago I dove in between two strapping Year 11 lads who decided to brawl in my classroom in my 2nd week at the school. I'm female, but 6 foot tall, so not one of these dainty little women that can end a fight just by the nature of being seen as the weaker sex by teenage boys. Unfortunately I took a punch to the side of my head (which was aimed at the lad behind me). It ended the fight pretty swiftly as both boys were so worried about being excluded for hitting a staff member that they immediately forgot what they were fighting about.

I was fine within about 4 minutes and my relationship with those boys ended up being pretty wonderful. They did both get a FTE for the incident though.

Unsurprisingly, I don't tend to step into fights now.