1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you become a TA?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by MuppetQueen, Nov 24, 2011.

1. MuppetQueen

MuppetQueen New commenter

Hi,

I have been at home with my daughter for the last 4 years but now she has started school I would love to be a TA to fit around her school hours. There are a few TA posts (including some part time) being advertised in our area but I am unsure as to the best things to do to give me the best chance of becoming a TA.

Before I had my daughter I was Network Manager in a high school and before that a Secondary Science teacher but as I am looking for something more local and part time I would love to be a TA as I love being in the classroom.

So far I have:
    1. Been volunteering as a Parent Helper 2 mornings a week at my daughters school
    2. Got a job as a midday assistant in a local primary (I will start as soon as my CRB check is complete)

Is there anything more I should be doing to gain experience? Would I need to do a TA qualification? Are these qualifications expensive?

I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks, Karen

2. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

Just apply for the job - you've got some experience. You may be lucky, if not at least you'll get experience of filling out applications forms and going to interviews.
    You're lucky there are some near you.
    Many schools prefer qualifications - not all. What do they ask for on the job advert.
    Check with your HE provider. Ask the HT at your daughters school.

3. MuppetQueen

MuppetQueen New commenter

Thank you so much everyone and I will follow your advice. I want to wait a while before applying as don't want to miss my daughters first nativity play or sports day (only downside of term time only work) but feel confident I am doing my best to get recent experience. I have used this forum lots as a teacher, examiner and network manager and so pleased it is still so helpful and friendly - I will definitely be back - thanks again x