1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you become a SENCO?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by JaneHalle, Oct 29, 2015.

1. JaneHalle

JaneHalle New commenter

I am a secondary teacher and I would like to become a SENCO. Do I need to take any qualifications before I would be considered for this role? Thanks

2. Sencosfriend

Sencosfriend New commenter

You would need to be able to evidence your ability to advise others on how to effectively respond to students with SEN - in practice this means that most have a dyslexia qualification. I would read the list included in the SEND Code of Practice on what a SENCos job involves so you can judge what skills you already have and what others you would need to gain.

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I managed to get good results with students with SEND in my Faculty ( MFL ) and then took on a greater responsibilty for provision in school ( Steering Commitee for Student Support ) . I worked with small groups on ICT spelling / reading programmes and also pursued several models of an MA ( Inclusion Pathway ) in my own time ( theory to back up the practice if ou like ). I was lucky that someone in school thought that I had had the right transferable skills and the ( dare I say ) integrity to champion the challenged whilst developing the skills and confidence of the staff.I did not have an SpLD qualification but when is situ as Head of Curriculum Support in another setting funded a teacher to do the qualification so we had inhouse expertise.I started to do the Dyslexia course at the end of my career but hated it ! If you look at the SENCO standards it will give you an idea of the scope of the job. Imperative that you have a vision for inclusion, can be an excellent role model and crucially be able to lead and manage provision. The net is your friend as it easy to research /equip yourself with the knowledge related to SEND. I think there are courses for aspiring SENCOs ? - essential also to shadow a good practitioner I think.