1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you become a private tutor with only A Level qualifications in the subjects you want to teach?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by 1mm1grate, Jul 18, 2011.

1. 1mm1grate

1mm1grate New commenter

Don't suppose you can help me. I can't seem to get the advice I want. I've been on so many sites and yet have ended up nowhere. I want to teach but have tried being a teaching assistant and it hasnt worked. I want to teach Maths and Science one-to-one or small groups of pupils and am trying to get in to tutoring, however I did my alevels in 1993 so how am I meant to polish up on my knowledge? I dont have much money so can not buy lots of books and anyway I wouldnt know which one to buy and where to start. Any ideas? or could you point me in the right direction? I'm nearly 36 and going nowhere in my career even though i have a degree and alevels

2. 1mm1grate

1mm1grate New commenter

Don't suppose you can help me. I can't seem to get the advice I want. I've been on so many sites and yet have ended up nowhere. I want to teach but have tried being a teaching assistant and it hasnt worked. I want to teach Maths and Science one-to-one or small groups of pupils and am trying to get in to tutoring, however I did my alevels in 1993 so how am I meant to polish up on my knowledge? I dont have much money so can not buy lots of books and anyway I wouldnt know which one to buy and where to start. Any ideas? or could you point me in the right direction? I'm nearly 36 and going nowhere in my career even though i have a degree and alevels

3. Why not just have a whole career change and do a PGCE? It will make you a better tutor and sort out your problem with going nowhere in your job at the moment!

4. Anyone can be a tutor in anything but you may find that parents won't book you if you don't have teaching experience or higher level knowledge of the subjects you're advertising.
    For example, I have a degree and PhD in chemistry and experience of teaching chemistry up to A-level (I'm also an examiner), science, additional science, maths, biology and physics up to GCSE. I started out tutoring chemistry and science, then added KS3 maths, then GCSE maths and now also do some general 11+ tuition including English.
    Do you want to be a teacher? Or just a tutor?

5. If you stick to your degree subject, you should be fine to tutor in that up to GCSE. You do need to up to date with the curriculum though and most of that info is available on the websites of the exam boards. I don't buy many books at all - use mostly web resources and take my lead from the student as to what help they need - it is different to school teaching in that you don;t follow a scheme of work, but concentrate on the areas that your student needs help with.
    Most parents will expect their tutor to have a degree in the subject - my degree is English, so I only tutor English, with occasional help with essay structure etc in other humanities subjects.
    Hope this helps.