1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you assess your KS2 and KS3 pupils in MFL?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by MademoiselleP, Oct 6, 2016.

1. MademoiselleP

MademoiselleP New commenter

Hi,

I have a new role as French teacher/ acting head of deptmt in a middle school ( Y5 to Y8). I am completely at a loss with the new assessment system after having taken a year off on maternity leave and missing out on the implementation of the no-levels assessment.

I know we have to grade them according to their level of mastery but I can't find standardised level descriptors ( it seems like every school is using their own ...) and no papers/ exercises which could help with assessing their level in the 4 skills. We use Expo and I am in the middle of re-writing the SoWs with the Bloom's taxonomy planning sheet which the school wants every subject to use.

I am desperate for help as I'm the only languages teacher in the school and the reports for the 600 or so students are due by the beginning of December.

Thank you so much for your help !!!

2. parkert

parkert New commenter

3. MademoiselleP

MademoiselleP New commenter

Hi, thanks for that. I just had a look, it sounds comprehensive. However, does it mean pupils have to have access to laptops / computers often to complete tests etc or do you just give those as homework? How about the children who don't have easy access to computers at home?
    Thanks for your help!

4. parkert

parkert New commenter

we assign tasks as hwk. We don't have laptops for kids so print off the PLC for them. As for kids with no internet -the eternal problem. We have enrichment after school for an hour so we encourage them to do it in the library