1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you approach the delivery of More Able & Talented Provision.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by florapost, Apr 27, 2011.

1. MAT? do you mean GAT?
    ks1, ks2 or both? are you the gat co-ordinator?

2. oh - sorry - just realised what MAT is - other questions still stand - also, what timetabled hours do you have for any stand-alone provision?

3. Sorry, it's being in Wales, it is More Able and Talented here. I can have some timetables session - probably 2 to 3 afternoons per term to deliver a programme for it. I'm the coordinator for MAT. Any help/inspiration would be fab!

4. Translate that into English and you may get some replies.

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

It is in English with I also being from Wales!!
    We do our mat wow sessions once a week while the other children do paired reading for half an hour. I do the juinior maths Y5/6 and another member of staff does the Y3/4 maths. These sessions are usually maths/English and for the very very able only as we have about 10% on the mat register for one reason or another. As for staffing, we keep the dinner supervisors on a bit longer to look after the paired reading and the teaching / T.A's deliver the wow sessions. We don't call them wow sessions. Didn't think of giving them a name.

6. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

If the able children get wow sessions (which is a terrible name), then what sort of sessions do the other children get? Boring ones? Or none at all? Or do they just get to read to dinner ladies? Sounds wonderful.

7. I'm not calling them wow sessions, but for the point of this for people to know what I meant. SEN withdrawal is now common place, as is strong differentiation, but sometimes it appears that the more able, I feel, need something exciting and varied to really challenge them. I'm not at all saying other sessions are boring at all, far from it.

And as for translating it into English - I did write it in English, if you can't cope with the aftermath of devolution, then don't bother replying.

Thanks for the usual information from others :)

Rich

8. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Well to be specific then, I don't plan in extra activities for the more able - I plan for differentiation within lessons that means that the more able will be stretched. Sometimes they do these activities independently, sometimes with me and sometimes with a TA, in as much as all children get support from adults at some point throughout the week just as they will all spend some time working independently. They don't get additional lessons with a 'wow factor' (apologies for picking on this phrase; I dislike it intensely but that shouldn't have formed the thrust of my last post). The point I was attempting to convey was that I feel sorry for 'average' children who get left out if everyone else is withdrawn for special attention. It feels elitist. A good teacher should be able to stretch more able children with good lesson differentiation.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Indeed, but it is also good practice for them to have withdrawal work, the same as for the least able.

We, as a nation, cater very well for the least able (SEN) and the average (Booster groups and the like) and yet people get all hot under the collar about special provision for the most able. I imagine the 'WOW' part was because many teacher just give the more able extra worksheets or boring extension stuff. The OP is presumably looking for a session that is something the children want to go to.

Florapost, would you mind sending me what you have as well please? A vague syllabus of activities would be hugely useful for me, as my school is just starting to up our provision for the most able and I'm hoping to be very involved. Can I pm you my email?

10. That's exactly what I meant.

Thanks Flora - have pm'd you.

Rich