1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you answer..." When do I have time to do it?"

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by philosophical, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Wo ren wei ni de Suomi shi ting hao...
    If I get run over by a bus, refer to the Scheme of Work, not the lesson plan; the lesson plan is individual to me. "All who follow" can create their own lesson plan!
    Hell, this thread might be sinky soon...

2. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I think sow are probably more common in secondary. Since we've gone down the creative curriculum route ( which both teachers and children really enjoy) we don't have a sow.

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

we may not have sow , but we might have a pigs ear [​IMG]
    creative.....oh did we do that..dam i wish youwould tell the other heads..my last ones idea of creative was get their heads down working and they have to write for 20 mins a day.......what i poetry? Sats papers every fortnight and wo betide you if you had an untidy room lol
    it seems the models the kids where making should have been in cupboards out of the way? mmmm?

4. Its

Its New commenter

Oh dear.
    Why do you have to ask the teachers? Don't they already know what they need to do? What are all these letters? It sounds to me as if they see you coming and hide!

How about this killer line:
    "Hello Mr ....../Mrs......../etc how are you today? How's the family? Did you have a lovely weekend? Will you allow me to offer you a cup of coffee?" Stuff like that.

Obviously if they aren;t marking, being late for lessons etc etc, just call them in one by one into your office and give them a good sound bollocking. then watch them go off with stress.....

5. I just want to say our head is great. She gives us a termly plan of what's expected and rarely surprises us with things. She asks how we all are, walks round and checks up on everyone and sometimes has a cuppa in the morning. For this reason, most of us will go above and beyond for her.

Just sayin'....

6. I mean, she has a cuppa WITH us!! lol

7. I have never known teachers who don't go above and beyond, some more than others, even the most cynical who keep a little stock of MacDonalds application forms for their awkward students will work extra.
    The worry is when managers don't recognise the extra, the above and beyond, is purely voluntary, and build the extra work into such things as 'termly plans'. The most essential work should come under the confines of contracts, and yes, be costed as such...the days of meetings merrily declaring 'oh yes tutors can do this, in the classroom we can add that' without knowing how long it is expected to take are happily behind us.

8. Two things I do to ensure things get done is firstly to give plenty of notice to staff of deadlines then holding them to account. Secondly I scrapped weekly meetings- we only have staff meetings once a fortnight (often meetings are held for the sake of a meeting) so they are much more focused, that means that evry other week is directed time and then staff can't turn round and say they didn't have time. In a small school the staff have lots of responsiblitiy, so they really really appreciated these two principles I used. Hope these help

9. Surely to an extent if the task asked of a member of staff is a requirment - ie part of their professional role, regardless of when it was realised, the member of staff has a DUTY/responsibility to complete it and if they refuse/don't produce the goods, perhaps this needs to be reiterated. After all :
    62.6 In addition to the hours a teacher is required to be available for work under sub-paragraph 4 or 5, as the case may be, a teacher must work such reasonable additional hours as may be necessary to enable the effective discharge of the teacher’s professional duties,