1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do we think she's doing so far?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Sep 9, 2018.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Theresa May's first speech as PM. To what extent has she managed any of it?

WorldViews
    Full transcript: Theresa May’s first speech as Britain’s prime minister

By Adam Taylor
    July 13, 2016

Theresa May, the new leader of Britain, made her first speech as prime minister outside 10 Downing Street on Wednesday.

Despite only lasting a few minutes, May's speech managed to cover a lot of ground. The new prime minister made a centrist appeal for unity in the face of the divisions that came to the foreground after Britain's vote to leave the European Union.

Some commenters have even compared it to the short speech Margaret Thatcher, Britain's first female prime minister, made in 1979 outside 10 Downing Street when she was first in office.

You can see video of the speech above and a transcription of the speech below, with annotations (in yellow) added.

I have just been to Buckingham Palace where Her Majesty the Queen has asked me to form a new government, and I accepted.

In David Cameron, I follow in the footsteps of a great, modern prime minister. Under David's leadership, the government stabilized the economy, reduced the budget deficit, and helped more people into work than ever before.

But David's true legacy is not about the economy, but about social justice. From the introduction of same-sex marriage, to taking people on low wages out of income tax altogether.

David Cameron has led a one nation government and it is in that spirit that I also plan to lead. Because not everybody knows this, but the full title of my party is the Conservative and Unionist Party. And that word Unionist is very important to me. It means we believe in the Union. That precious, precious bond between England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

But it means something else that is just as important. It means that we believe in a Union not just of the nations of the United Kingdom, but between all of our citizens. Every one of us, whoever we are and wherever we are from.

That means fighting against the burning injustice that if you are born poor, you will die on average nine years earlier than others. If you're black, you're treated more harshly by the criminal justice system than if you are white. If you're a white, working-class boy, you're less likely than anyone else in Britain to go to university. If you're at a state school, you're less likely to reach the top professions than if you were educated privately.

If you are a woman, you will earn less than a man. If you suffer from mental health problems, there's not enough help to hand. If you're young, you'll find it harder than ever before to own your own home.

But the mission to make Britain a country that works for everyone means more than just fighting these injustices.

If you're from an ordinary working-class family, life is much harder than many people in Westminster realize. You have the job, but you don't always have the job security. You have your own home, but you worry about paying the mortgage. You can just about manage, but you worry about the cost of living and getting your kids into a good school.

If you're one of those families. If you're just managing. I want to address you directly. I know you're working around the clock, I know you're doing your best, and I know that sometimes, life can be a struggle. The government I lead will be driven not by the interests of a privileged few, but by yours.

We will do everything we can to give you more control over your lives. When we take the big calls, we'll think not of the powerful but you. When we pass new laws, we'll listen not to the mighty, but you. When it comes to taxes we'll prioritize not the wealthy, but you. When it comes to opportunity, we won't entrench the advantages of the fortunate few. We will do everything we can to help anybody, whatever your background, to go as far as your talents will take you.

We are living through an important moment in our country's history. Following the referendum we face a time of great national change. And I know because we're Great Britain, we will rise to the challenge.

As we leave the European Union, we will forge a bold, new positive role for ourselves in the world. And we will make Britain a country that works not for a privileged few, but for every one of us.

That will be the mission of the government I lead, and together, we will build a better Britain.

sbkrobson and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I can't manage a reasoned analysis.

This is all I can be bothered with:

[​IMG]

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:D

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Is there a score less than zero.

She has managed one significant achievement - she's still there.

Other than that - hopeless - and she's not helping the country.

grumpydogwoman and nomad like this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

Also. Give me one of these. Much more useful.

[​IMG]

nomad likes this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Negatives or Imaginary Numbers?

grumpydogwoman and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

well, she is in a no win situation, attempting an impossible negotiation. It is extremely unlikly to go our way in any sense. I guess some people will blame her though, so to be honest, I think she might as well give the reigns over to those that think they can do better. Not because I think they can, but because I think that her handling of Brexit is going to be under a question mark for centuries. She is doing as well as anybody could but unless one of those hardline brexiteers actually has a go themselves, this will never be proven.

needabreak, Lara mfl 05 and nomad like this.
  8. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Personally I think she's failing according to her own criteria laid out above, but Theresa May has one saving grace. She's not Boris Johnson.

9. grumpydogwoman

Foodbanks
    Academies.
    Zero hours contracts.
    Affordable housing.
    Transport costs.

Never mind Brexit! What about all that bulls.hit about the working family?

Steaming pile of tu'rd.

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The snap 'strong and stable leadership' election was a massive error of judgment. She only got away with it because nobody could see a credible alternative leader - hardly an endorsement. Her authority rests on a knife's edge, propped up by the DUP and their Bronze Age manifesto, which cost us a billion of taxpayer's money to keep them sweet. If she'd had any sense she'd have applied that knife's edge to Boris ages ago, the first time he stepped out of line, so his side of the argument would never have gained any ground, and a middle of the road deal could be struck with the EU.

I've been to a vintage sale today where around two thirds of my takings were from items I've bought when travelling in other EU countries then brought home across an open border. The lousy exchange rate is already impacting on my prices to customers and my earnings. If we have a no deal Brexit it's going to make importing hugely complicated. I'm just a small one man show, but when I apply that same logic to any larger business that imports from the EU and employs people I see little if any grounds for optimism about where this is all heading.

monicabilongame likes this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Inertia

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Interesting programme broadcast yesterday, looks at events occurring 100 years ago, in anticipation of defeating Germany in WW1 and setting up a new world order for world peace.

Among the contributions from historians are recordings of speeches from world leaders, including the Conservative leader Edward Heath, who took us into the Common Market, as it then was, but made a speech about his vision of his hopes for the EEC and subsequent EU, which isn't dissimilar to everything that rebel Tories claim is wrong with the EU.

I accept there can be differences of opinion on some things, but you'd have thought that political parties are formed and managed with a consensus on their overall objectives, wouldn't you? How can it be possible that the party that wanted desperately for Britain to be part of the European project and took a lead in influencing its way forward, have dissidents now with such polar disparate opinions to mainstream Tory ideology, not be speaking as one with the overall party objectives?

It basically boils down to incompetent party leadership, but I don't think it's fair to pile all the blame for that on May. EU dissenters were having their voices heard long before she came to power and ought to have been quelled by her predecessors.

The trouble with the Tories, is you can never tell whether they stand for principles or for corrupt motive to feather theirs and their mate's nests.

May's record as PM has been abysmal, when judged by her contribution to lead the nation, but who know whether the men in grey suits will say she's been brilliant in managing matters to meet their objectives, so they can screw us even further?

13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Unwise right now, actually. Back off, you self-serving liar.

14. foroff2233

foroff2233 Occasional commenter

OP,
    May promised motherhood and apple pie, which nobody would object. One ought, however, to object to the gl

15. foroff2233

foroff2233 Occasional commenter

Continued!
    Glacially slow, microscopic progress towards her ideals.

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Her main concern is survival - her attempts at getting something done with BREXIT have been execrable

She's weak and stubborn and useless.