1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do we get our children playing proper football?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by taffy1509, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Having recently watched Barcelona destroy Man Utd for the second time in three years in the Champions League final,is there anything we can learn from them and in particular their footballing philosophy that will help the development of children's football in this country and help us catch up on a national level? I'm fed up of hearing parents shouting "put your foot through it!" and "Just boot it!"

2. Find a decent junior club. We let ours carry on playing for the school team as some sort of half-***** life lesson even after the HT declared that team selection would depend upon expressing the slightest interest (that interest usually being the parents', keen to get all the kids off their hands for an hour on Sat morning whilst never neing available to fetch and carry from afternoon fixtures) rather than actual skill.
    But they also joined a local junior club where they had to fight for a first team place. They were very strict about inappropriate parental behaviour from the touchline and taught the children skills, tactics and teamwork. Toe the line or leave. Shut up. It was a prize pain hauling my ass out of bed on Sunday morning to watch them play (sometimes for the second or third team) at 9 a.m. in the rain but several of the club's star players went on to play professionally.
    Not mine though. [​IMG]

3. Move to Spain, The Netherlands, Germany, Italy...
    Suffice it to say, there are very few decent youth academies in this country, and most of the good ones recruit kiddies from all over the world.

cyolba, checking TES for jobs in Barcelona :)

4. You're not from Leeds are you? Apparantly a lad has turned down Leeds United in favour of joining the Barcelona Academy!

One thing I believe is being introduced is using smaller pitches for children so they increase ball skills before moving on to full size pitches.

5. Until your big clubs invest in British players, your youngsters have it difficult.
    They will have to go abroad.
    Look at a German team and look at a British team and look at the number of international players.
    You will find a balance.
    And those German players are in the international team.
    Women's World Championship is about to start! Watch the German girlies - standard 4 2 2 which has always worked. Young team, many already world champions - and a few oldies to balance it.

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

I'm not sure that the 'philosophy' of professional football clubs has any relevance to children's football.

7. It should be a whole lot better than the philosophy of a school that says anyone who turns up gets a place on the team in rotation, that there are no losers, only winners, and that trying is better than succeeding.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I think our kids are overcoached when young and so drop out of the sport at an early age.

I recall watching my yongest play when he was 7 or 8. He just loved to play the game whereas some of his classmates played for junior teams. You could tell the difference and I don't mean in skill. The kids that played league football didn't fetch the ball if it went out, argued with the ref and were generally pains in the ****. Totally spoiled it for the kids that were playing for fun.

Anyway it is nly soccer, why not get them playing a proper sport, most areas have mini rugby teams.

9. Philosophy in terms of them teaching children from a young age to love the ball and develop them technically, there is apparently far less of an emphasis on competition and it is not just about the big, strong kids who can kick a ball far. lots of work with smaller balls to develop control and in smaller spaces again to develop skill and a good touch. Something sadly lacking not just in children's football in this country but in the proffessional game and in the national side. methinks this is very relevant if we are to produce decent footballers in the future.

10. If you are going to play a sport, you need to want to win.
    Sorry - being there and taking part is not enough.
    And kick and rush, or just playing long passes, however well aimed, are not going to work anymore when you have a team which dances around your feet and makes you look like an elephant in a tutu when they tip the ball from under your toes and can run a lot faster than you can!
    Man U made Schalke look like a schoolboy team.
    Barcelona made Man U look like a kindergarten team.