1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do u organise books for each group so they don't get mixed up?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Caymem, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

When you organised books for each group in your department so they don't get mixed up? do they get there own box so at the end of the lesson they get packed away in there so they don't get mixed up or do they have a certain section of a shelf in your classroom that they go on. How do you tidy away students books in your department after teaching that class.

2. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

You can buy electrical tape on different colours put a bit on the spine of each book and you can easily see which book belongs to which box

Corvuscorax and freckle06 like this.
  3. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

How do u organise books in your department?

The electrical tape sounds like a good idea I may do one color a year group how does that sound?

Corvuscorax likes this.
  4. NewbieHoD

NewbieHoD New commenter

We used a similar system. Each year group had it's own colour of book cover from the YPO catalogue, and we kept each class in a separate box. Never an issue.

If you can colour-code the boxes for the classrooms too, that helps. And train the students to put them away themselves!

5. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

Thanks for the ideas. Do you colour code the boxes so each classroom has a different colour if so what colours do you use and where do you get them From?

6. NewbieHoD

NewbieHoD New commenter

Tray colours match (-ish!) different coloured exercise books. Different colour for each class, boxes stay in room / with teacher.

Boxes are these: https://www.ypo.co.uk/education#/dfclassic/query=gratnells&query_name=match_and

7. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

Do i do one colour per classroom or she'll I do one colour per set for examples top set gets blue second set gets red or what do u think will be the best idea?

8. NewbieHoD

NewbieHoD New commenter

Whatever suits your use case best. We used one colour per class, so each classroom may be different depending on who teaches which class in there.

For example, my 7s2 exercise books are red, so they go in the red box. 8s6 are green, so in the green box. 10p1 are blue, so in the blue box.

It doesn't really matter which are which, and it doesn't matter too much if a class is shared between teachers as they will have separate books and can devise their own colourscheme.

One of my staff had numerous different classes and we ran out of colour combinations, so she used the same colour for each year group. So 7s1 and 7s5 were all red, etc. You may wish to do this differently so 7s1 are red and 7s5 are grey to avoid confusion.

9. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

Thanks for this I'll look at how many different colors of books and grays I can get to match this up. I will let you know what I come up with later on.

10. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

As i have found 14 different combinations I will do a different colour per KS3 set and the same for gcse which means I will only be using each colour twice. Shell i organise books in class sets which each different sort of textbook in a different colour box.

11. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I wouldn't use different colours for different sets, because pupils move sets, and you don't want to be changing their books every time. Do it by timetable block, so one colour for each year or half-year - teachers will only have one group in each block, so there shouldn't be more than one set of each colour in any room.

Don't get too hung up on classroom organisation, as your colleagues will have ways of doing things that suit them. For instance, if you put textbooks into boxes, you may discover some of your colleagues can't move a box that heavy, and would prefer a loose pile on a shelf.

12. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

so do you think I should do red for year 7 blue for year 8 yellow for year 9 green for year 10 and purple for year 11 and orange for as and Alevel students or should I have one color for AS and a different color for Alevel.

With regards to textbooks I was going to box up all the textbooks into class sets so each classroom had a set, so they do not need to hunt down the textbooks they are after. they will know where they are as they will be directly in there classroom. if you dont think having class sets off books in classrooms are a good idea then where else do i store then?

also how do you in your department or classroom organise equipment like pens, pencils,rubber and sharpers and also equipment like protractors,compass and rulers. just wondering as at the end of the year when we where all tying out all the classrooms ready for next year we seemed to be finding them all over the place, so I am wondering how do you organise those sorts of things in your school so they are not all over the place?

13. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

I just wonder, Caymem, whether you might find it useful to go on a teacher training course - they will be able to answer all these questions, and more.

14. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

How did you organise them in your last school?

15. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I allocate stationery and hope that teachers look after it. I keep spares.

These questions do seem rather daft. How were things organised in your previous school? How do other departments do it? I use boxes with the name of the class on the front. When I had shelves I used coloured stickers on the spine.

Just use your common sense and you won’t go far wrong. I think you’re overthinking it all.

Good luck!

16. NewbieHoD

NewbieHoD New commenter

By far the best advice. Your team will have their own ways of doing things - trust them to sort it out for themselves. Find out what they need, and facilitate this - you'll quickly develop a house-style.

17. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

@Caymem has gone quiet since being challenged in a different thread. Some of us suspect trolling....

18. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

He's back!!

19. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

do whatever you want. Why do you need to ask?

students have a list of what equipment they are required to bring, and get punished if they have anything missing

Caymem likes this.