1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do they work out end of NQT for Part time?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by miss_moneypenny, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I have finished my second term in february and started the third term on a 0.72 contract. We calculated my end of third term to be the last week of June and we asked the induction to be shorten to end of may due to my contract finishing in may. However, the council just told us that my end of NQT should be beginning of september and they insist on this, but neither my mentor or I manage to understand how they worked out this date! Who is wrong?? How do they do it??

Thanks

2. It can be difficult to work out end dates for those on part time contracts, but the TDA has a calculator which LAs and individuals can use:

It is up to the LA to decide if they will reduce induction (it can be reduced by up to 29 days in exceptional circumstances and in your case an end of contract could be seen as exceptional - this is one of the areas that can constitute a reduction for NQTs:
    http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20081230134948/http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/12703/080623%20Induction%20Statutory%20Guidance.pdf
    Check page 25. The decision to reduce the period can only be taken towards the end of the induction period.
    So ask the LA if they would reconsider a request to reduce during term three as per the statutory guidance - then the head and LA must agree and you must be assessed as meeting all the standards.
    James

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Practically what tends to happen is the final date of the assessment forms received will coincide with the end of a term or half term so perhaps they mean end of first half term next academic year. This means that LA's are not receiving and processing the forms at all periods. In my LA this allows us to arrange for staff to cover the activity and do the data processing.

4. OK
    There needs to be a meeting between the head, the LA adviser and yourself and you and the head show the LA adviser your calculations and she explains hers. If a meeting is not practical or possible then she must set out in writing her calculation showing how she arrived at that date so that you and the head understand the ruling - if there are any errors these need to be pointed out so that she can get the correct date. Ultimately if she refuses to budge then you may need to contact the GTCE for a ruling.
    James