1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do they keep getting jobs?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by kidgloves2, Jan 27, 2012.

1. <font size="2">We have a Muppet Extraordinaire at our little Chinese Comprehensive. This Principal has managed to extend their CV by gaining employment outside the coterie of the more regulated international schools. She/he has not only acted illegally but casually denied any such wrong doing to a full assembly of their teaching staff. Such audacity must be derived some form of social pathology, which could be defined by their particular manner and appearance. </font><font size="2">If it were only that simple, you will find that often the employer knows exactly who they have hired and to what degree their new hire will bend, to accept their wildly inflated incomes (contract or none).</font>

2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Was it Confucius who said 'If you need to bend, then bow low'?
    If only I'd cultivated that skill I could have had most of those wildly inflated salaries still stacked away along with my modest ingot collection in the Cayman Islands, but my last employer in India rumbled me on the first day, remarking to our Administrator who gleefully passed it on to me 'Mr Mainwaring is not like most of the other people who work for us. He wants to DO things.' What an eejit (and I don't mean the Administrator).
    As Perce has observed, muppetry, and worse, is not confined to the exalted ranks of BLT (isn't that what they call SMT these days?). When I was in interview in Santiago for a Principalship I unfortunately got, someone asked 'Isn't that b&acirc;tard F at your current school?' It turned out that the friendly and highly plausible Mr F, who was always ready to take my young sons off for little treats, was a convicted pederast who had done a year in Chilean chokey. Change country, rewrite CV, invent a colourful past fighting ters in Rhodesia and, hey presto, a new career and more kiddies to fiddle.
    After the F experience when Mr IR at the same school told us detailed stories of his close friendship with the Beatles we all thought 'Mitty rides again'. Then my sceptical ten-year-old quizzed Paul McCartney in the baggage hall at Heathrow and, behold, it was all true.

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Are you suggesting working in "non regulated" schools is illegal? What do you mean by regulated schools? No such thing, of course. A school is either registered in the country and therefore legal or unregistered and therefore illegal. There's no regulation of international schools outside an indiviudal country's own legislation.
    If you're referring to some other activity this leader is engaged in being outside education and illegal, please go ahead and describe it. If it is illegal the authorities will take whatever they deem necessary.
    A sense of style is very subjective. A teacher in my school still thinks it's cool to have stubble, when he in fact look a bit of a ***. But for you to make mockery of your leader for his appearance is rather childish.
    If what was so simple? Few empoyers take on incompent leaders knowingly. It's one thing knowing on which side your bread is buttered, which is perhaps the real issue in your school, and another thing being incompetent.
    You come across rather like a sad little teacher I had the burden of employing once upon time; he liked to sit on the back row and make stupid (he thought his contributions were insightful, but not so) comments during staff meetings, whilst he thought he had the backing of the staff for such immaturity, but was actually disliked by most. Not having an understanding of the real world won't help your long term career.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

I think there is also an element of the 'Old Boys' network in some situations like this.
    I worked in a school which had 4 different Heads appointed in as many years. 2 of them were definitely not suitable.

5. Its near impossible to do anything about management bullying and cliques. Sad when you are faced with such at your place. Its the same world over I guess. I wonder whether its the nature of the beast in this part of the world that 'numpty' Heads are expected to be numpties enabling arab owners to feel secure and superior. I don't know.

6. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

I, too, remember this character.
    Is it not a tad "unfortunate" that 2 months before the alleged incident he brought in a rule saying that the students had to have one of their teachers as their friends on Facebook to stop them "making mistakes"? Does having your headteacher (allegedly) making "requests" on FB count as a "mistake"?
    "Incidentally, this is the same school that passed a rule two months back,
    saying that students have to add at least one of their teachers in
    their Facebook Friends List. Justifying the decision, the then
    headmaster @@@@@@ had said that the school did not want to
    "intentionally interfere with their (the students') lives... But the
    point is they are children and they tend to make mistakes."

7. Call yourself a leader, Mistermaker? Nearly every posting you make has grammatical and spelling errors. This quote surpasses everything though. You extract the ***** out of someone for mocking their leader and yet you mock someone's stubble. Please rearrange these words and add some more: teapot, black, kettle, calling. Oh the irony!
    Haha haha hahahahahahahahaha! 'empoyers' !!!!! and 'incompent' !!!!!!! Oh dear!
    Please keep posting - sucha giigle.

8. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Having a bad day, GW?

9. MisterMaker

Since when is jotting notes on a forum become a grammar test.
    wot a twalop you are.

10. How do they keep getting jobs?
    Someone like MM gives them references.

11. Quite the opposite mate!

I just laugh out loud when I see Mistermaker's pompous and error strewn messages!

and, he reckons he is a school leader. Give me strength. ;-) :)

12. But, who wrote his reference?!

Unwritten law of leadership, MM: check your emails for grammar, spelling and appropriateness before you press the send button!

13. But, MM, you conveniently ignore what I posted about being respectful about stubble and leaders. Better make sure I have a shave tomorrow morning!
    Now what was I noticing about the lack of polished shoes the other day? Or, was it that top button or the creases in the shirt?
    Funny also how you appear to be the only one on here to regularly produce such rushed and error strewn messages. Oh sorry, there's always a good reason for the failings of 'leaders' ... even in Malaysia.

Jot on MM. ;-)) Looking forward to your next error strewn and patronising efort!

14. Since when has jotting notes on a forum become a grammar test..... derrrrrr! ;-)))))

Keep em coming mate!

Love and kisses,

GW

15. MisterMaker

Giving poor teachers good references may be something done in the UK, where it is more difficult to move staff on. Outside Europe it isn't necessary.[​IMG]

16. MisterMaker

I sense either alcohol fueled sarcasm or mental breakdown; I fear you are more likely to be suffering from the second alternative. So many posts in so few minutes about the same thing. Now how does that Rolloing Stones song go...

17. Looks like we have a disagreent and some healthy blood pumping discussion going on.
    Topic's a bit weak, though. Can't someone spunk it up a bit?

18. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Ah, Mister Maker! I'm a bit slow on the uptake. At first I defended him on something I can't remember, then I was sorry I had. He used to really get up my nose with his insults but upon my return to TES, I figure that someone couldn't really be as vile as he. So I have come to the conclusion that he is urine taking. Amazing who and what you miss when you are away for a while. (Not that I missed MM of course.)

19. Is this what you meant FP?

http://www.dnaindia.com/bangalore/report_international-school-head-booked-for-sex-chat-with-boy_1640780-all
    This thread will be deleted in 5 4 3 ....

20. MisterMaker

That names sounds familiar to me: never worked with anyone with that name but possibly came across it before. Just can't remember when or where.
    Yasimum: [​IMG] go on ... confess ... you really have missed me.