1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do they do it?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, Jan 14, 2012.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

My daughter went to visit her cousins last week and after paying for the train fare, I gave her forty quid to keep in her purse for emergencies.
    She has returned with an emergency top, an emergency handbag and an emergency bracelet.

This afternoon, my husband took her with him when he went to buy himself some new shoes.
    They came back with a pair of trainers, some jogging bottoms and a pair of smart shoes for her...

...and nothing for him

2. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

My daughter went to visit her cousins last week and after paying for the train fare, I gave her forty quid to keep in her purse for emergencies.
    She has returned with an emergency top, an emergency handbag and an emergency bracelet.

This afternoon, my husband took her with him when he went to buy himself some new shoes.
    They came back with a pair of trainers, some jogging bottoms and a pair of smart shoes for her...

...and nothing for him

3. Looby_Lou14

Looby_Lou14 New commenter

To be fair to her, A handbag, top AND bracelet for 40 quid...

Bargain! [​IMG]

4. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Oh Looby, this did make me giggle as I thought the same thing!![​IMG]

(Sorry G![​IMG] )

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

This reminds me of colleagues who seem to be so smug of their lovely relationships with their daughters,telling me how they go shopping and have coffees and cakes with their student daughters. Strange how those Saturday afternoon spend shopping with mum will somehow involve mum's credit card!

6. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Hmmm

Actually, she is gorgeous and to be fair, she has tried to get a second part time job to fund her shopping. She is the youngest and the last one still at home, so I suppose we are thinking we won't get many more chances to spoil her a bit.
    Must admit the shoes were a real bargain today. She does have an eye for a good deal.
    Sure it won't stop her from 'borrowing' my favourite things too, but that's another story....

7. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

Been there, got the t-shirt.....................................

but it's usually been borrowed! [​IMG]

8. I borrowed a pair of my son's sports trousers for pe this week.
    He says he will never wear them again [​IMG]

9. giraffe, made me smile too!

When my children were teenagers and starting to go out until late at night, I used to leave £20 emergency taxi money in the kitchen - the deal was, if they ran out of money or had a problem, they could always get a taxi home and use the cash but then they had to replace it ready for next time.
    Did not often work out that way! The taxi money was used to order take away pizza, fund driving lessons, top up phones etc! In the end, I had to only leave the money out as I went to bed on a night that one of them was out and then remember to hide it again in the morning!
    Still, it meant I could have a good nights sleep without worrying too much about how they were going to get home!

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Personally, I blame her Mum . . .
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

11. I will admit I used todo the same thing. :s I would go out with my mum just for some window shopping and she ended up buying me a top, pair of shoes etc etc. Oh well I turned out alright in the end!

12. I have a variation on this. I do not buy my daughter what she wants for birthday, Christmas etc.as I would NEVER choose the right thing. So I send her the money and she......

spends it on something else. So still doesn't get the new shoes, nice perfume, 21st birthday present i.e. jewellery to remember her 21st by. Can't win !
    So yes she ends up borrowing my boots, perfume etc.[​IMG]