1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do people spend their New Years Eve?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by scienceteachasghost, Jan 1, 2016.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I personally think NYE is such a paradoxical time in many ways, a big build up to what in effect is the Anti-Christmas, a month of scrimping, dieting, not drinking and/or going out!

Also, it is a time of year that for me suffers from a very 'grass is greener on the other side' sort of way. Spending it alone is almost unthinkable (to me) , although this did occur one year where mentally I just wasn't in a place to go out. I have gone out clubbing alone the last 3 years running (friends are not interested in the whole NYE thing and spending it with parents/family feels like failure, even though it shouldn't!). Many people would find clubbing alone weird, although I am much happier than the average person to participate in experiences in my own company, as much as I of course enjoy any interaction etc although feel somewhat shy initiating it.

The weird thing is, if out clubbing a part of you craves a night in with nibbles etc (with or without company.) Yet if at a house party you feel weirdly obligated to go out! Statistically of course the majority of people don't go 'out.' And of course, kids are too young to go out, those with kids will not go out, some people will be working etc!

So..............What is your actual vs ideal New Years Eve?

ShowerGel likes this.
  2. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

My actual as stated is the clubbing , while my ideal would be a night in with a loved one with nibbles/wine etc!

Although if single next year I may just have a 'light' one and show up at the local pub!

ShowerGel likes this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We have been to or hosted some fairly boozy house parties over the years , we've been to a big club where a pipe band came up through the dance floor at midnight, and to a small club where we've tottered home in the snow and we've done the cricket club dance and buffet. Recently we've had meals with friends and just occasionally we've stayed in with Jools Holland. I would be fine staying in but husband likes to make a bit of a party of it being Scots.
    Last night it was dinner for 6 here. it was fine - the friends didn't know each other but got on well enough. There were a few games and the Jools came on for the countdown. Son and family came this morning to first foot us.
    My favourite celebrations were the mad parties with dancing, or else I'd go for the quiet night in.
    We have seen one pair of friends for about 30 of our 40 New Years of married life

4. madasahatter

madasahatter New commenter

1. PJs
    2. sofa
    3. wine, chocolate and snacks

Fabulous time was had :)

ShowerGel and midnight_angel like this.
  5. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

I love your posts scienceteachasghost.
    It's so true to life and humbly put!
    Good for you going clubbing on your own.
    I wish you well indeed and s od those smug marrieds and their 'we'ness!
    What would they do if something happened to their wife/husband!

Go for it.

6. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Bit unfair.

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

ha ha ha - what do you want me to do - pretend I'm single. If I lost my husband it would be very tough - i know that -that's why I enjoy every day now.

coffeekid likes this.
  8. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

I find NYE and the whole 'let's go wild' unutterably tedious. I do not understand the idea that however you spend the second when one year rolls over to the next will sum up the coming year so if you're alone, you'll be alone for the rest of the year etc. I also dislike the assumption that suddenly things will be better or you'll become a better person (join the gym, stop smoking, drinking, whatever) because it's a new year - you end up giving up, feeling like a failure and waiting til the next new year before trying - and failing - again. Urgh.
    So ideal NYE: asleep in bed with husband.
    Actual NYE: asleep in bed. Husband was watching a film with a cuppa.

The first words out of my mouth on the 1st January though were 'can you take your finger out of my nostril?' to my 3 year old. Nice way to start the new year!