1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do KS2 SATs affect GCSE results

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by misterp, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Hi all
    I've known (rightly or wrongly) for a few years that children attaining Level 4 in English AND Maths tend go on to achieve 5 GCSEs C-A*. However, I am struggling to find any hard evidence of this. Does anyone know of any sources that can back this statement up? With the stautory testing of writing now disappearing it is getting harder to convince parents that KS2 SATs are important. I think if I can tie in GCSE attainment, that might just get them hooked!

Many thanks

Martin

2. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Sorry, misterp, but I don't follow the logic. Key Stage 2 tests are not of any importance for the futures of the individual children, surely. (They're definitely not SATs.) Even if all the children who get the level 4 go on to get the good GCSEs, it doesn't mean that the NCT result has affected what they do years later. A child could be absent for all the NCTs and still get A stars at GCSe.
    You can't say to children, "If you don't get level 4 in this one test, you won't get good GCSEs".

3. Hi markuss
    Various SIPs, SEPs, advisors have made this statistical link - just wondered if there was any evidence to back it up. I'm obviously not saying 'Well done kids that's level 4 sorted at age 11, kick back and get those GCSEs' Just wanted to know if there was a proven statistical link between academic success at end of key stage 2 and end of key stage 4.

I'm not saying it's logical, but if County are saying this to us, I want to a) use it to push the importance of SATs or b) be able to argue a case with County.

4. Ilovetravel

Ilovetravel New commenter

Here are the 'expectations'.
    With regards to a proven statistical link. How about this?
    or this?