1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how do i tell my boss

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kangaroo.poop, Jan 4, 2011.

1. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I hope none of your pupils are reading this, RF ...

2. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

kangaroo.poop - if you're still out there somewhere ...I seem to remember on your other post that you said you may need an op and that you are not even in plaster yet. Please make your health a priority.
    Later - after the op/plaster bit is sorted and hopefully the pain is not too bad - if you feel like making some resources or doing some planning <u>for yourself</u> then do so. But please don't offer to do anything for school - could be a right old can of worms.
    Take care and get well soon!

3. I did not say that at all!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'm not greatly taken with the "no balls" comment, resourcefinder - I'm more of the opinion that some teachers are under pressure not to say 'no' and are less able than others to do so (partly due to the bullying culture in some schools) and others who think they are indispensable.
    If a school has a problem with any aspect of teaching or management as the result of one person's absence (or more than one) then that school is badly managed.

5. I clearly mis interpreted post 73

6. Seren ... I would, as I said, not ask anyone to work when I'll ... Nor would I do it as general practice

I was drawn in by the "no balls" and "rights" comment

Re some tasks ... They may get done but not well ... As a control freak I prefer to have my options open

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

lol...I forgot that category of teachers. [​IMG]

8. Yes, I think you did!
    I was responding - in general - to ILS - and in general to the context.
    Not to you as a person, nor have I said that there should be any pressure placed on anyone to do anything in particular - I even said to leatherpatches that if he felt able to work whilst signed off sick, he should do so (I think one is mad to do so, but as I said, that is by the by).
    My caveat - as I think I and others were trying to make clear - was that THIS can make others feel pressurised into doing the same - as they feel guilty, are pressurised from line manager or whatever.
    I have absolutely no doubts about you, RF - or that you would expect that of others.
    My beef was more about those who have no balls to say no - I believe you do - and then expect the same of others.
    I am not sure I have made that very clear - but I was a bit shocked that you could think that I was suggesting you have no balls!

9. Fair enough

10. invincible

invincible New commenter

I, like CQ, am not allowed on the premises when signed off sick. I was once thrown out of the school by the boss just for taking in my sick note on my way home from the docs. Here we get an Arbeitsunf&auml;higkeitsbescheinigung which literally means incapacity for work certificate. It's not just that you can't go to work. It literally means you can't do any work.
    I love these long German words [​IMG]

11. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I despair of some of these weird German ways !

12. I feel UNDERSTOOD!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

We're not quite so hysterical here - when I took in my sick lines during long term absence I usually stayed for a cup of coffee or even lunch with my colleagues.

14. Why?
    You send in your Arbeitsunf&auml;higkeitsbescheinigung (tis a yellow think - we call it a Gelben) via post and the other copy goes to your health insurer. Via post.
    You are not allowed to take it in to work yourself.
    You are not allowed to be on the premises or ....do anything except be...ill or incapicitated.
    We cannot self-certify either.

15. It is not hysterical - you are ill and thus not insured on work premises.
    We, on the the otherhand, are not so hysterical about CRBs, or being on work premises outside of "normal hours" - I have never worked anywhere where I did not have a key to enter.

16. invincible

invincible New commenter

Absolutely. Doesn't stop me feeling bad about being off though. Was recently off for a couple of weeks with pneumonia and stopped myself from answering emails and stuff. The only emal contact I had was with those who covered for me to get up-to-date on what was going on and what needed to be done.
    For a few days it felt good. After that, I had to start rummaging around on the internet for ideas for school and doing a bit of planning. I have never been off work for more than 3 days at the most so it was strange for me to deal with being signed off for so long. You just worry about falling behind and losing track of things, don't you? Even when you know you should be resting.

17. I am not even teaching any more and still feel the guilt. I was off (on annual leave) for 3 weeks, got called back in (was narky about that) then spent the rest of my leave...in bed with flu.
    And spend the last few days (out of coma) wondering...will this have been done, will that have been done?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Unless you're actually working in your workplace while signed off sick insurance isn't a problem if you drop off your sickline or pop in for lunch.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Here, that is.

20. I am insured even on the way to and from work. I don't even have to be on the premises.
    If I am signed off sick, the company insurance taken out for me is invalid if I do not stick to the stipulations.
    On the other hand, I am insured for a lot longer with full pay than you in the UK are.
    Horses for courses - you like your system, I love ours.