1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how do i tell my boss

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kangaroo.poop, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

*wonders how many ways we'll come up with to spell precedent*

2. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I spelled it wrong the 2nd time because it looked wrong the 1st time, but now looking at the 2nd spelling it looks worse!
    Precedent
    Precedent
    Precedent...

3. Take a good look at your sick note.
    You are signed off from working - not from attending your place of work.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

We have 'Fit Notes' now, not sick notes ...

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

yip - but you're still signed off as 'not fit for work'.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Being signed off is still very straightforward. The 'may be fit for work' alternative will almost certainly involve OH (reasonable adjustments etc) and/or discussion between the employer and the member of staff:

"When your doctor provides you with a fit note they will advise you on
    one of two options. Either you will be 'not fit for work' or you 'may
    be fit for work'.
    <h4>'Not fit for work'</h4>Your doctor will
    choose this option when they believe that your health condition will
    prevent you from working for a stated period of time.
    <h4>'May be fit for work'</h4>Your
    doctor will choose this option when they believe that you may be able
    to return to work while you recover with some help from your employer.
    Your
    doctor may include some comments which will help your employer
    understand how you are affected by your condition. If appropriate, they
    can also suggest one or more common ways to help you return to work.
    This could include:
    • a phased return to work - where you may benefit from a gradual
      increase in your work duties or working hours, for example after an
      operation or after injury
    • altered hours - allowing you the flexibility to start or leave later, for example if you struggle travelling in the 'rush hour'
    • amended duties - to take into account your condition, for example removing heavy lifting if you have had a back injury
    • changes to your workplace - to take into account your condition,
      for example allowing you to work on the ground floor if you have
      problems going up and down stairs"

7. I feel the need to once again announce that the UK is utterly bonkers.

8. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

What seren and others (including HTs) have said is quite straightforward. If you are unfit for work that is exactly what it means. And how anyone can be dense enough not to understand how offering to work at home undermines other colleagues is a mystery to me.

9. I get the impression that some like to think they are heroic by working at home when signed off.

10. When in fact, they are idiots. If they are so keen on working, no need to have a sick note in the first place.
    They can march on in in their Wonder Woman / Superman costume and save the world.
    And let those sensible folk who are not fit for work (fit? who the hell came up with that word?) have their time off guilt free.
    We all need a superhero/ine - let them do the work. But if they do - I do so wish they would shut their trap and just get on with it.
    Save the world but don't bore everyone to death with how wonderful you are.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Really?
    The "Fitness for Work" change is part of the attack on longterm sickness/benefits - ie you might be too sick to do your job but you're not too sick to do any job. A lot of people think the "benefits culture" in the UK is utterly bonkers and approve of Fitness to Work as a move to curtail the lead swingers.

12. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Agreed. They're probably the same people who say they never get their PPA and aren't bothered about it.

13. Just the wording, seren, not the sentiment.
    You will have to tolerate my alienation - I find lots of things about the UK plain daft - measures for stuff that is perfectly normal here.

14. More like no balls in their trousers to stick to their rights or ever say no.

15. I find people who shout "I know my rights" to be the ridiculous ones

I would never expect anyone to work whilst signed off sick

However, people who insist that I cannot do what is best for me ... Where are my RIGHTs

I should double workload on return rather than opening my laptop at home if I am ill ... Why do YOU get to make that decision rather than me?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I don't.
    The doctor does.
    And consideration for colleagues should do the rest.
    If your workplace is allowing your workload to pile up in your absence then there's something wrong in that workplace.

17. The doctor makes the decision.
    When I was pregnant the first time, I was in danger of having a miscarriage. My doctor plainly stated that I could
    a) be written off sick for 6 months
    or
    b) be given a sick note which stipulated I only worked 3 hours a day but could leave at any time.

Of course, I took choice b.
    Only to be written off sick completely in the end because of course, you don't end up just doing the 3 hours in the end as your employer thinks "she is there, she can do it".
    Sometimes it is better to listen to the doctor and not to yourself, or to your employer or to your colleagues.

18. There are some aspects of my work that I am best placed to do, seren

I would be very unlikely to work at home generally if ill ... But, if I broke my ankle just as I was about to start the timetable ... I would probably do that task if I felt I was able to ... The schoolndoes not employ a second timetabler

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

They would have to if you got run over by a bus and were lying unconscious in hospital. No-one is indispensable. If you're not there to do it then someone else must.

20. I agree but ... You are saying that I have no choice and ... CQ is saying that if I amable to timetable and I choose to then I have no balls