1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how do i tell my boss

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kangaroo.poop, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Because she's signed off. What part of that don't you understand?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Because you are signed OFF.
    Because the next person to be signed off will be under pressure to offer to work despite being signed off.
    Because it will be expected of all those signed off.
    Who will be considered to be too ill to work from home? Will it take being unconscious before it's accepted that you are signed off as unfit to work? What about flu? Is that ill enough? Is gastroenteritis ill enough?
    ...and having been incapacitated following hip surgery which resulted in nearly 9 months off work it is actually fairly stressful. All I'd have needed was some idiot suggesting that as it was only a hip replacement (done twice) I could still write so could work from home.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

What Seren said.

4. I was signed off for a long time after injuring myself last year. In 'theory' I could have done some work. In reality it wasn't possible. I was taking pain meds that left me feeling more than a little spaced out and even with them I was in constant pain, unable to even concentrate on the trashiest of magazines. The way I had to sit with my leg raised at all times meant even if I was able to concentrate on anything, physically I wouldn't be able to write or mark for sustained periods of time and no surface to lean on.
    But obviously I'm just a lazy shirker.

5. Leatherpatches - if a doctor signs you off sick, you are off - sick (whatever the reason).
    You are not signed off to stay at home but "do a bit of work anyway - tis only your ankle/hip/brain/knee/nose".
    It is not shirking - but those who, like you, come down with the hammer and say those with "just a broken ankle, hip, nose, head, flu" are basically skiving off, put enormous pressure on those who really cannot work and that means that they feel pressurised into never taking time off at all - and that is why you end up with so many ultimately suffering from stress and depression.

6. bnm

bnm

I've never had a broken ankle but I should imagine the pain and inconvenience make daily life very much harder, and that just getting about in the house will take much time and effort.
    If you were fit for work you would be signed fit for work.

7. It is incredibly inconvenient bnm. Once my OH had got me downstairs and onto the sofa he would then stock me up with food, drinks, magazines and the telephone. I had to plan in advance when to visit the loo (thank god we have a downstairs one).

8. Shirker. You should have worn a nappy and carried on with your planning and marking. You could still move your fingers, couldn't you?!!!

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I agree entirely.
    1) Tell your HT asap - and perhaps tell your HoD too, so that they can start organising things.
    2) Do not offer - and even less agree - to do things at home. And do not not not go in before the end of your official sick leave. I used to send staff home immediately if they came in during sick leave. Sick is sick is sick.
    3) Relax. Read slushy novels. (Buy a Kindle if you haven't already got one - go to the Book Club on here and see how we all love our Kindles!). Eat a bit of chocoloate, but not so much that you feel guilty. Do not not not watch Jeremy Wotsit on morning tv - it just makes you depressed that there are people out there who think it is a good idea to put the poor b*****s in front of a camera. Your body has been subjected to stress and you need to accept that and give it time to heal.
    4) If it makes you feel better, from time to time do a bit of materials preparation or other things which will be "getting ahead of yourself" for when you go back. You'll find it hard being back in work after being ill for so long, so if you can do anything now to make that time easier, then do it. But only if you feel like it.
    5) Ask to see Occupational Health just before you go back, and talk to them about easing back in on part days. Possibly half days, or perhaps you'll need to arrive late and leave early, to make travel easier.
    Best wishes!

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar
    Look forward to seeing you!

10. I do not know the rules as applicable to the UK, but if I am signed off sick I am not ALLOWED onto the premises - as this invalids my health insurance and also the company's accident insurance (should anything happen to me on work premises).
    I would also agree on the phased return idea (or at least the involvement of OH re working hours) after such a prolonged absence.

11. invalidates

12. The same part that those who introduced the 'fit note' rather than the 'sick note' didn't, I suspect: http://teachersupport.info/england/news/New-Fit-Note-Introduced-to-UK.php

13. Sorry - needs a quote.

The same part that those who introduced the 'fit note' to replace the 'sick note' didn't understand, I expect: http://teachersupport.info/england/news/New-Fit-Note-Introduced-to-UK.php

14. Do you feel no solidarity with any of your colleagues, leatherpatches?
    Don't you think work life is so much more tolerable and enjoyable when everyone supports each other, rather than kicking each other in the groin?

15. Yes, and those who sit at home and don't volunteer to help out, even revelling in it when they have a chance, increase stress on everyone else - with the same effects.

16. Honestly, I feel solidarity with hard workers. I see too many teachers basically milking the system.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You seem to have entirely missed the point though.
    If signed OFF work the fact remains that you are signed OFF.
    Your HT should not under any circumstances ask you to work from home nor should you offer. It REALLY is as simple as that. One HT has already confirmed that... I'm sure that any other good HT would agree.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Ah...you're not a teacher...you're a doctor.
    Along with the other dual qualified teacher/doctors in our staffrooms - aka bullies.

19. I'm signed off sick at the moment. I offered to mark my year 11 mock papers. I was told that I wasn't allowed to mark them and that I should not be responding to work related emails.

So simply saying people should offer to do work is not the answer. I have been writing a SOW but that is against the wishes of my school.

20. If you are sitting at home signed OFF work you are signed off from WORKING.
    We have two HTs on here who seem to think this is correct.
    We are not talking about those who are repeatedly off sick because they don't want to work.
    That is a completely different scenario with completely different mechanics - and I suspect any HT worth their salt will notice the difference.