1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how do i tell my boss

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kangaroo.poop, Jan 4, 2011.

1. that i cant work for six weeks?!

2. that i cant work for six weeks?!

3. dear boss
    I have unfortunately broken my ankle and will not be coming in to work for the next 6 weeks.
    Sorry for the inconvenience
    Love kangaroo.poop

4. i know i just feel really guilty

5. Of course you do, but you are more important than any job or boss.
    look after yourself, here speaks the voice of experience!!

6. almost scared to make the call

7. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

kp - why are you scared? These things happen and part of the HT's job is to manage the needs of his staff. You, for now, need to stay home - there's no doubt about that. I'm sure the vast majority of heads will take this in their stride.
    Relax. Make the call. Then get used to daytime TV and reading the paper and all those books waiting for you. I'm sure it will feel strange to be off work at first but you'll soon get used to it - and you have to look after that ankle!
    Let us know how you get on.

8. Why not offer to work from home? Might at least help out a bit and there's no reason why not. Get marking dropped over- you could be a real benefit to the team instead of adding to everyone else's stress. Incidentally, this is also my answer to your other thread about it.

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I think you need to get a grip about this. You're not the first, won't be the last and the head's got more to think about than just you.

10. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

when I broke my foot on a Saturday, I sent a text to my HT and others which read ' am well and truely plastered!'

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Look on the bright side - you'll be making some Supply Teacher's day when they get that call out of the blue tomorrow and hear the magic words 'six weeks'. Six days would be a gift for most of us.

Nothing to feel guilty about at all from where I'm standing.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I hope you spelt 'truly' correctly!
    I can't see the problem for the OP at all - broken ankle...minimum six weeks absence...these things happen. And, no...you don't offer to work from home - you're signed OFF work - it sets a lousy precedent for colleagues should they be signed off.

13. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

OK, you have <u>NOTHING</u> to feel guilty about. I am on the train home from my first day back at work (similar circumstances) and when I had to make the call I didn't apologise because - guess what? - it wasn't my fault. It's one of those things. You won't be the first teacher in the world to break their ankle and you won't be the last!
    By the way, do not offer to work from home. You have been signed off. If you really want to, then by all means work on your resources .etc. but don't offer it outright. Stressing isn't going to make your ankle any better. Enjoy your six weeks off! [​IMG]

14. As the two previous posters say. Do let your HOD know what your classes were going to do so that the supply teacher knows what to do with them but DON'T write plans, just a couple of notes on each class would be helpful to the supply teacher. You have broken ankle, not a life threatening complaint, so you can communicate with school. I would offer to do some marking or writing of schemes of work but leave it a couple of weeks before making the offer and only make the offer to you HOD, not the HT. Oh, and wangle a phased return. A whole day on your ankle might not be good for it, so a couple of half days before returning full time should do it. It will also ease you back into the pace after such a long lay-off.

15. I wouldn't. Signed off is signed off, not partially signed off.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Correct.

17. I'd hurry up and tell your HT. All this time you're procrastinating you're preventing your head from sorting out a replacement.

18. And this is why teachers get labelled shirkers, including by other teachers.

Why the hell shouldn't she offer to do some work from home. It's a broken ankle not, God forbid, stress. Stress clearly prevents you marking and helping out from home...

19. I wouldn't. I'd leave it to the last minute and have a union rep tell him. After all, we don't want to make it harder for others who need to get signed off for indefinite periods, do we?

20. I agree.
    If you are signed off sick, you are signed off sick. Absolutely no need to be doing ANY work at home at all and nor should you.
    Nor should you feel guilty (although I can empathise with that) but there is no need. None of us are irreplacable and school/office will cope just fine without you.
    You are signed off sick because you are sick/injured and you should take the time to recuperate without worrying about planning, marking or what people will think of you.
    Now - buy in lots of chocolate and trash mags and get the cushions sorted for tomorrow's Day TV.