1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I stop the incessant fussing?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by cactusstorm, Nov 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. cactusstorm

cactusstorm New commenter

For about five minutes after every changeover (morning, after fruit & drink and all break times) I have children coming up to me to tell me the most pointless tales. Tales of accidents that the children sorted out themselves, people accidentally walking into each other, people not smiling a each other etc. It doesn't get better in lessons; the children can't find a pencil (I have no idea what they are doing with them), someone on ther table is not sharing the rubber and people shouting in each others' faces (they aren't). I won't survive the year if I don't nip this in the butt now; it is draining the life out of me.

They are Year 2 and known to be a fussy year group by those who have had them before. Any tips?

2. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Sounds normal to me.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Have an activity ready for them to get on with straight away; could be as simple as writing the date/title/WALT in their books, could be something more exciting. Perhaps make it a competition between tables, with a point given to any table where everyone has completed the task before the timer finishes. If the alternative to fussing is more interesting or rewarding than telling tales, you're at least partway towards curbing the behaviour. And those who come to you with tales can be redirected with a brisk, "Have you done X yet? No? Off you go then..."

Individual pencil cases with a pencil, rubber and whiteboard marker inside. Really cuts down on the faffing during lessons if everyone has their own and their own place to keep it. Tidy away your things at the end of each lesson; if it's somehow managed to disappear mid-lesson (we know it happens, somehow!), make it their responsibility to come up and collect a new one at the end of the lesson (keep a stash in your desk). Lose it mid-lesson, lose a minute of break (mark it on the board). Being late out to break is likely to inspire at least some of the owners to be responsible for their things.

4. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

Could you do a chart of 'severity' for them? As in 'these things don't need to be shared, these things can be, these things need to be'?
    I found just repeating simple instructions rather than engaging in the fussing helped - "It's lesson time now, go and sit at your desk and open your book".

Kartoshka likes this.
  5. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Individual pencil cases really helps. I also have a 'Spares' pot for anyone who can't find their pencil to go to fetch one without bothering me. I just make sure the spares are the grotty ones not nice, new pencils. The pot is rarely used and I can don't get asked for new pencils.

Kartoshka and pepper5 like this.