1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I qualify to teach SFL?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by edermo, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I moved to Newcastle from Ireland a few months ago. I have a post grad qualification in primary teaching (probably the equivalent to the pgce) and various experience. I also have a TESOL certificate and I have worked as a TESOL teacher in Ireland during my summers.
    Since I moved here I have seen lots of jobs advertised looking for SFL tutors. It is something I would be interested in doing but I can't seem to find out what qualifications I need. When they talk about levels in literacy and numeracy I don't know what they mean. How do I go about becoming qualified to teach them to adults. I'm obviously qualified to teach children. I've applied for a few voluntary support roles to get some experience but nothings come of them yet.
    Is there an organisation that could help me out or somewhere I could find out about courses? I've googled it loads of times but I've been left more confused than ever! Thanks for your time!

2. Hi,
    I moved to Newcastle from Ireland a few months ago. I have a post grad qualification in primary teaching (probably the equivalent to the pgce) and various experience. I also have a TESOL certificate and I have worked as a TESOL teacher in Ireland during my summers.
    Since I moved here I have seen lots of jobs advertised looking for SFL tutors. It is something I would be interested in doing but I can't seem to find out what qualifications I need. When they talk about levels in literacy and numeracy I don't know what they mean. How do I go about becoming qualified to teach them to adults. I'm obviously qualified to teach children. I've applied for a few voluntary support roles to get some experience but nothings come of them yet.
    Is there an organisation that could help me out or somewhere I could find out about courses? I've googled it loads of times but I've been left more confused than ever! Thanks for your time!

3. Hi Edermo,

I am teaching ICT Functional Skills which are currently replacing the Skills for Life subjects (not much difference between them though!)
    In my case, I am on the PGCE course in Life Long Learning/Post 16-Compulsory Education.
    As you have an equivalent teaching qualification though in compulsory sector, you may need to do a sort of "update" on your skills so you become familiar with teaching in the FE sector.
    Best people to talk to are LLUK - http://www.lluk.org/
    When I was looking to move from my previous career into teaching, these were the people I contacted and I had excellent help and advice from them via email.
    There is one other "body" you should contact. That is the IfL - http://www.ifl.ac.uk/ Its compulsory to join them as they are the professional body for teachers/lecturers etc who teach in the FE/Post Compulsory sector.
    I joined them, and have not had any welcome to IfL email/pack or anything. I have had emails from them but nothing to make me "feel welcome". So far, I feel that joining IfL has just been a "tick box" exercise which is part of my PGCE course.
    As a trainee, joining IfL is free - the government pays for the fee.
    Hope that helps