1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I phrase it?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by breadmaker, Feb 3, 2011.

1. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Would really welcome any advice from any HT- busy as you all are.
    I started a new job in September and whilst it is not all doom and gloom, I know that long term I cannot thrive in this particular school environment as there is no debate about teaching/ learning/ children or anything in general. The school functions through a series of top down initiatives fired out to staff via emails from SMT. Staff meetings and INSET so far have been SMT talking whilst other staff absorb the information- I have picked up very quickly that discussion is definitely not the order of the day. To me, one of the best parts of the job is missing- engaging in professional debate with colleagues to move practice forward for the children.
    How do I phrase a reason for leaving after only 1 year maximum, without looking arrogant or like a trouble- maker, when I am neither, but am just very frustrated that no staff seem to be deemed worthy of having an opinion or being capable of making any contribution to moving the school forward. It is a medium-sized primary school that feels like an anonymous huge secondary school.
    Thanks for any replies.

2. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Would really welcome any advice from any HT- busy as you all are.
    I started a new job in September and whilst it is not all doom and gloom, I know that long term I cannot thrive in this particular school environment as there is no debate about teaching/ learning/ children or anything in general. The school functions through a series of top down initiatives fired out to staff via emails from SMT. Staff meetings and INSET so far have been SMT talking whilst other staff absorb the information- I have picked up very quickly that discussion is definitely not the order of the day. To me, one of the best parts of the job is missing- engaging in professional debate with colleagues to move practice forward for the children.
    How do I phrase a reason for leaving after only 1 year maximum, without looking arrogant or like a trouble- maker, when I am neither, but am just very frustrated that no staff seem to be deemed worthy of having an opinion or being capable of making any contribution to moving the school forward. It is a medium-sized primary school that feels like an anonymous huge secondary school.
    Thanks for any replies.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Firstly, be sure you can afford to be without a job in the present climate - I understand your sentiment, but it might not be the time to be picking and choosing ones place of employment right now. Secondly, if you are sure you would like to leave, you simply write a resignation letter stating the date you would like to resign by. You don't need to give a reason, but if you want to, just cite 'to pursue other interests'.

4. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Thanks very much for your advice- I will try to float a few of my ideas/experiences and see if I can get some air time as it were!

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I can tell you from experience that your letter really doesn't matter. It will be quickly filed, whatever you say. At the Governors' meeting, a simple announcement will be made along the lines of "Mr Potato Head has resigned, who wants to be on the interview panel?"