1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

How do I opt out of my pension and get the money back?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Gabriel151, May 25, 2012.

  1. Hi, it's 2 years. You can do it but be aware that there's a big tax charge to come off and it's only your own contributions that you get back. If you plan it carefully you can mitigate against the tax but not if you're earning above your personal allowance. Not sure about working abroad, lots of countries have dual tax arrangements these days.
    Hope this helps
  2. Thanks! this has been very helpful.
    I heard it was 2 years as well.
    Do I ask the school for a form or do I contact my LA?
  3. Mmm that's interesting. I was automatically put into the local government pension scheme when I was a TA and the LA told me I couldn't cancel and get my money out, as it was over 12 months.

Share This Page