1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how do i make him realise the importance of gcses?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by merlymoo, Mar 6, 2011.

1. my son is in year 11 at a grammar school with GCSEs coming up soon.
    How do I get him to understand the importance of these exams?
    Hes doing OK but is now having to attend "catch up" sessions as hes not achieving his full potential. Am a bit annoyed that although in certain subjects I have been flagging this for the past couple of years, something is only being done now to make sure he doesnt "spoil" their results (98%) Dont get me wrong hes not some awful kid whio doesnt give a toss but I dont think he appreciates the importance and wonder if you have any tips or advice.
    Thanks.

2. Your son has not been working to his potential and doesn't appreciate the importance of his exams, and you're annoyed with the teachers? Surely work ethic and valuing education is a personal trait?

3. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

Is he planning to go to Sixth Form to do A-Levels at the same school ? If so, he surely understands the entry criteria, which I am assuming is quite high for a Grammar.
    If he is, then does he have an interview for Sixth Form? If so, why not contact the Head of Sixth Form, explain your worries and ask them to 'put it on thick' about options available to him.
    The options being, college BTEC, or a low skilled job with little chance of progression.
    I am a Sixth Form manager and have come across similar students. I tend to ask them what do they want to do post 18? Does he think with his current projected GCSE's he will be able to do what he wants to do. He needs to be aware that Universities WILL look at his GCSE grades, and for some courses he won't get a look in if they aren't high enough grades.
    He needs to be fully aware that if he underperforms :
    a. Doors of opportunity will be locked for a very long, if not permanent time.
    b. He may not get the job he wants, therefore seriously reducing his enjoyment of his working life.
    c. Low pay, poor opportunties.
    All this tends to scare them and get them to realise the importance of knuckling down for the last few months.
    If all this fails then bribe him !!
    Good luck [​IMG]

4. Thanks Ferris for your CONSTRUCTIVE comments.
    As a primary teacher I have pupil progress meetings at least 3 times a year with the HT to discuss those children who are not making expected progress and what we can do to help. This <u>BROOKES</u> is my problem - no one at the school's English dept has done ANYTHING about this despite the fact that he had level 5s at KS2 sats which gave him a projected A at gcse and hes currently working at a C. I appreciate that he has to be responsible for this himself and I am sorry if I totally understood, but I thought teachers were there to help??? When I have been asking (for at least 2 years) what support was being offered and nothing was forthcoming can you not see that I am annoyed that they only begin to take this seriously 3 months before exams. All they care about are their precious 98% A-Cs.
    Some subjects hes pretty sure to get A* but its motivating him for those things he HAS to take but hates like English Lit and French.
    If anyone else has something WORTHWHILE to add I'm happy to listen

5. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I would point out to him that some Unis look at GCSE results before A levels and won't touch anyone without straight A* at GCSE - does he want to spoil a potentially fantastic crop of results by not pushing himself in the subjects that he doesn't like?

6. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Does he need to get A*-C in those particular GCSEs?
    Is it wrong to focus more intently on six or seven GCSEs and let the others slide provided you get the big three (math, English lang and science) plus another two or three?
    Does anyone need 9 or 10 GCSEs?

Just asking.

7. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Universities will only look at the GCSEs you tell them about. There's no obligation to tell a university about your D grade in food tech if you're applying to do a law degree.

8. Sorry, but I know lots of students at universities( listed in the top 12 in country) who did not have straight A*s at GCSE. These include UCL, Durham, Bath, Warwick, Lancaster and York. These students however did have straight As at A'levels.
    I also have a relative at Cambridge without all A*s at GCSE (studying medicine). Their A'level results were outstanding.
    Sweeping statements indicating that students are university rejects, before they even apply, just makes students and their parents highly anxious.

9. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Perhaps you missed the bit where I said "some universities".
    Me too. We send plenty of our Sixth Form students to those universities too. But we have also had students turned down for places because they didn't have a full crop of A* GCSEs - and that was the feedback they, and we, were given.
    The original poster asked for suggestions. I gave one. I don't particularly see the need for you to have a go at me for mine, when it is grounded in fact. What the OP chooses to say to her son is her own business - if she doesn't like my suggestion, she won't take it.
    And "university reject" is such a loaded term, don't you think? Not one I would use with my students, so I do rather resent the implication that that is how I might think of any student.

10. Hi Merlymoo. I think there are two different issues. In your first post you wanted advice on getting your son to understand the importance of his exams. In the second you talk about the intervention and support that the school should have provided. I would say these are two separate issues. One is intrinsic to your son - his motivations, work ethic, attitude etc. The other is what you could have expected from the school.