1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I make a large scale lighthouse?

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by coco and crusty, Oct 22, 2011.

1. coco and crusty

coco and crusty New commenter

Strange question I know but I am doing a theme next term based on lighthouses, Grace Darling, electricity and winding mechanisms. I would like to make a large scale lighthouse based on the story of the lighthouse keepers lunch which has a winding mechansims to move the basket. The only problem I have is that I'm not sure how to support the lighthouse or what to make it from so it can be free standing but safe.
    Any suggestions??

2. dumfroth

dumfroth New commenter

When I did this the class just made a big 2D lighthouse on the wall and when we made the line and winch in tech I stuck a cup hook in the wall to hold the mechanism up and we winched the keepers lunch up to him. it wasn't perfect but P3 loved it

3. If you want children to be able to go inside it, build it in a corner -so you have the support from the walls. Hoops and canes could provide a framework with large sheets of paper to cover it.